HOW TO FIX BRAKE LIGHTS

2008 Dodge Avenger

avenger08

January, 6, 2012 AT 2:14 AM

All the headlights work, blinkers work, hazards work high beams work, rear lights work. When I press down on the brake pedal the brake lights do not go on at all . Needs help bad have work in the morning

saturntech9

January, 6, 2012 AT 2:32 AM

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Also have you checked the brake light fuse yet for being blown?

avenger08

January, 6, 2012 AT 2:39 AM

No don't have a multimeter I checked the hood but wasn't sure which one was the brake fuse

saturntech9

January, 6, 2012 AT 2:48 AM

Fuse number 3 its a 10amp fuse in the under hood fuse box. You will need a multimeter to test power in and out of the brake switch grounds to the brake lights etc.

avenger08

January, 6, 2012 AT 3:04 AM

Ok im going to buy one multimeter and 1 10 amp fuse just in case . But if thats any not the issue and clues of what I should do.

saturntech9

January, 6, 2012 AT 3:17 AM

At the brake light switch the red wire should have battery voltage when stepping on the brake the dark green with a white strip should have battery voltage. Let me know what you find.

avenger08

January, 6, 2012 AT 4:09 AM

Ok im sorry please explain how to test. Do I plug in to the fuse box itself or somewhere else I did manage to get the fuses as well. Its pretty sad im going to school for this.

saturntech9

January, 6, 2012 AT 4:47 AM

So was the brake fuse blown?Does the fuse have power to both sides of it?If your going to automotive school you should have already have already have bought a meter.I hope you know how to use a meter?As far as testing your brake switch its up under the dash between the brake pedal if you probe the red meter lead into the red wire at the brake switch it should read battery voltage. Then probe into the dark green wire with a white stripe at the brake switch then step on the brake you should have battery voltage.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy