My front blower fan does not work. Rear is OK

DAN GRAGERT
  • 2008 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
I changed the resistor module as well as the fan and this did NOT fix anything.
Here is the sequence I went through after reading the on-line forums.
Most folks said it was the resistor module so I bought a new one.
I measured the new resistor module with an ohmmeter before I installed it. It was identical to the original part. I then changed out the fan I also tested both the new and old fan with a current meter and both were the same.
So now I have two new parts installed and the problem persists.
I then disconnected the two prong plug at the fan.
Then I connected the ground side of the fan to the resistor module and connected the positive side of the fan directly to the +12 of the battery.
The fan now works as it should and has all four speeds. This tells me that the resistor module works correctly. The only thing bypassed at this time is the power source which is activated by turning on the ignition. When the ignition is turned on, it should activate a relay which will then power the fan.
I am looking for this relay and or fuse which operates this circuit. I cannot find any reference to where this relay or fuse is located. There is no manual available for this vehicle according to the auto parts store and I can't find an on-line schematic or pictures for this vehicle either. The owners manual is also no help
So the question is. Where is the relay and/or fuse?
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 AT 1:03 PM

WRENCHTECH
First you need to determine whether it's power or ground that is missing from the motor and that will determine which direction to go next. The power supply comes from the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module/Central GateWay) on a dark blue wire, which is located near the battery.

It's actually the back of the fuse box. What they have done is incorporate all the relays and power supplies into one, non serviceable unit. There are no accessible parts in that unit.

Here are some guides and diagrams showing you what to do and how to test it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
-1
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 AT 1:37 PM
DAN GRAGERT
The +12 is missing from the fan. (EXCERPT from above)"Then I connected the ground side of the fan to the resistor module and connected the positive side of the fan directly to the +12 of the battery." The fan works properly in this mode and therefore the resistor pack/GROUND is OK.

I know the +12 is missing from the fan and I found out by using the diagrams and guides above there was a bad connection at the blower motor relay due to heat. I fixed it by cleaning and enhancing the connection.

Thanks for you help! I love this site
+1
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 AT 10:36 PM