2008 Chrysler Town and Country Limited 4 liter

DAVID AQUALEASE
  • 2008 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
I have an intermittent starting problem. After a drive and a short stop, the van will sometimes not run. If the drive is very short, less than 15 minutes, there is no problem. If the stop is very short, less than 10 minutes (approximate) there is no problem. If the stop is more than 45 minutes (approximate) there is no problem. When it is not starting, if I wait for 15 to 45 minutes, the van will start. When it is not starting, if I set the ignition to the on position, I can hear the fuel pump run and then stop. When I switch to start, the van gives an initial start and immediately dies. It doesn't seem to matter what I do with the throttle, it just will not run. I have had a tune up done and have replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Any ideas on what might be causing the problem?
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 11:00 PM

Lets do this -Look for fuel and spark-Do below and get back with some testing results

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 11:44 PM
DAVID AQUALEASE
As I said in my original question, when the van is not starting, if I turn the ignition switch to on, I can hear the fuel pump come on and then stop. If I then turn the ignition switch to start, the van starts and then immediately dies. If I try that with the throttle to the floor, it just continually turns over wit; hout the initial start. I can do that over and over without being able to get the van to run. If I wait a while, then I can go. I will try to check for spark, but that might be difficult as I seldom have anyone with me. Thanks: David
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 12:54 PM
DOCFIXIT
Hi checking for spark will tell which direction to proceed without that info difficult to know what to do. Does check engine light come on? When it finally starts up does it idle smooth? Think whatever is at fault is heat related.
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 3:54 PM
If I then turn the ignition switch to start, the van starts and then immediately dies. Concerns me-sounds like the ignition switch ignition circuit on it is open-Have the ignition switch tested could be heating up and breaking open-Let us know
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 4:35 PM
DAVID AQUALEASE
If you can tell me how to check for spark without having to remove the intake manifold I will do it next time it happens. The check engine light does not come on. I have been watching the dash and I have not noticed any other problem. When the van does start, it runs fine and smooth. It might be a heat related problem, but I'm not sure. What do you mean by testing the ignition switch? Do you mean the dash switch, the key fob, or something under the hood?
Saturday, August 20th, 2011 AT 2:04 PM
DAVID AQUALEASE
Today was very warm out and I had a problem starting twice. I took it to my mechanic and it finally did not start for him as well. He went to check the fuel pressure and when he disconnected the fuel line he said it was like cutting the end of a hose off of an air compressor. He got a sudden and violent release of fuel vapour. He checked the fuel pump and it was working properly and when he reconnected the fuel line, the van started properly. Our thought is it is vapour locking. We are not sure why it is vapour locking. Anyone have any thoughts?
Monday, August 22nd, 2011 AT 11:19 PM
DAVID AQUALEASE
Today we checked the fuel line from the gas tank to the engine and could not find anything amiss. No fuel leaks, etc. The only conclusion we can come up with is that there is a problem with the fuel pump as it is the only component between the gas tank and the injectors. However, we cannot figure out what might be wrong with the fuel pump that might be allowing the van to vapour lock. It is about $1000 to fix which I do not mind spending if it fixes the problem. However, I don't want to spend the money and not have it fix the problem. Can anyone out there explain what might be happening that causes the van to vapour lock?
Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 12:40 AM
Check the fuel pressure if its within specs and get back with the readings
Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 8:55 PM