- OIL ISSUES

2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser

dg1973

July, 24, 2011 AT 9:25 PM

My 2008 PT Cruiser had a oil change (synthetic) 4,200 miles ago and does not have a drop of oil. The mechanic said the synthetic oil should be changed at 5,000 miles. The engine light turned on, it has low idle, low power, it sputters and exhaust is making weird noises. What kind of damage can be expected?

I was reading about several complaints due to PT Cruisers burning oil. Is this true?

caradiodoc

July, 24, 2011 AT 10:37 PM

If they burned oil you'd see blue smoke from the exhaust. Start by looking for external leaks. Years ago the common teaching was synthetic oil was "cohesive to itself", meaning if there was a leak, the leaking oil would suck more out behind it until the engine was empty.

One test is to add a small bottle of dye to the oil, then drive it long enough for the level to go down. Search with a black light. The dye will show up as a bright yellow stain that you follow to the source of the leak. Also check the tail pipe.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars