GRINDING NOISE 15-20 SEC. AFTER COLD START

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

katheek77

July, 16, 2012 AT 12:50 AM

I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt. When I start it from a cold start, it sounds fine, then, about 15-20 seconds in, there is a loud, short (I don't think it's even a second) grinding noise, then it sounds fine again. The noise is preceded (from start up) by a slight whirring noise that I would never have noticed other than the fact that it disappears right after the grind. The car does not make this noise if it is warm. Any ideas?

katheek77

July, 16, 2012 AT 2:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IPBD4EDwX0&feature=youtu.be If anyone wants to listen...it starts at about 23 seconds...

mhpautos

July, 16, 2012 AT 7:45 AM

Sounds like a bearing noise, I would start by checking all bearings on drive belts for harshness, it sounded as if you were holding the revs up, does it do it if it is at idle?

katheek77

July, 16, 2012 AT 10:43 AM

It was at idle. It was sitting there in the driveway. I just turned the car on (it was in park), and got out to film it.

Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet