TEMPERATURE GAUGE RED LIGHT ON

2007 Saturn Ion

Debbiean

May, 10, 2012 AT 5:21 AM

Temperature needle is mid-range, and the coolant light goes on, could it be a sensor? The coolant light goes on often however, when I checked the coolant level all was well. Then after a week or so the red light went on but the gauge showed mid-range, never increasing.

When I stopped to check the coolant it was not bubbling, the hood on the engine was cool (cooler than I felt it should have been for driving 90 miles on the freeway), the coolant was flowing, the fan was working and the gauge was still at mid-range. I am guessing it is a sensor. Is that something an everyday person can replace or do I need to go to a shop? The book that came with the car does not show where the sensor might me. Thank you for your help. Debbie

Temp Gauge

saturntech9

May, 10, 2012 AT 6:45 AM

So is the low coolant coming on or the temp light?Also if the coolant temp sensor was bad then you would see the temp gauge in the red when the temp light was on. There is only one temp sensor that sends the coolant temp to computer then the gauge. It screws into the head I would also have the computer scanned for codes if you have any codes please post the exact code numbers not code descriptions.

Debbiean

May, 10, 2012 AT 12:56 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. The 'coolant' light comes on but only says 'coolant'. There are no other words that come on with it. There is also no 'temp light' words. Only the red light on the gauge. There are no code numbers either. I will take it in and have it scanned. Thank you again for your help. Debbie

saturntech9

May, 11, 2012 AT 4:09 AM

Your welcome keep me posted.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230