COLD FRONT END RATTLE?

2007 Saturn Ion

nickybenz82

February, 20, 2012 AT 5:03 PM

Ok I have this saturn ion driving me nuts I get a clunk on the p/s front going over bumps ONLY FOR THE FIRST FEW MINUTES OF DRIVING then it goes completely away ive done the struts n links and still there ant ideas? This has been a drawn out deal n my customer is getting frusterated since the only way we can tell if its gone is by keeping it overnight to try in the morning almost sounds like a overnight strut leakdown or pressure n builds up after a few bumps please help me out this is a tough one

saturntech9

February, 20, 2012 AT 5:13 PM

The things I have seen clunk on those cars is the sway bar bushings that go between the sway bar and subframe. Also I have seen the steering intermediate shaft clunk. The part the connects the steering column to the rack and pion. But when only cold for a few seconds I have not seen. So can you only hear while moving and hitting bumps?Or can you hear it at a stop moving the steering wheel back and fourth?

nickybenz82

February, 20, 2012 AT 5:16 PM

Only moving. It makes no sense can't get it to happen on the lift or even on the ground. Put the chassis ear on it and took it out n nothing no noise

nickybenz82

February, 20, 2012 AT 6:31 PM

Saw on redline site this guy had the same issue n it was the sway bar bushings so for the few bucks I'm takin a shot I'll keep ya posted

saturntech9

February, 21, 2012 AT 7:46 PM

Thats what I said the sway bar bushings I have seen them clunk. Try driving in a parking lot about 5-10 mph and sway the car left to right if it clunks its most likely those bushings.

Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class