Replaced the battery terminals on the factory lead wires to the battery, (bolted connection to the connectors). Replaced with new ones from auto supplier (top post mount type) as original ones were corroded and one had split open. Accidentally touched the body frame with ratchet handle when tightening the positive side bolt to the cable connector, slight arch from contact with body, no burn marks on frame or ratchet.
Installed the cable successfully, started the engine and had no problems. Left the car over night in garage, then next day worked on car for about an hour and used the dome light to finished off some interior polishing up of the dash board with Armorall. Used light for about 45 minutes off and on, not continuously only for areas garage lighting couldn't give proper light.
Went to start the car when finished and the car would not start, lights came on and relays "clicked on", and starter clicked once, then all dead. Rechecked all connections at the battery and everything looked good, got out my new battery charger and put it on the battery terminals overnight and checked in morning. At first the charger read 7 or 8 amps when initially installed, when read 18 hours later the battery was fully charged and green light on the charger was lit indicating the battery was fully charged and the amps read 0.
Started the car right up with no problem, shut it off and restarted with no problems. Left the car overnight in the garage. Started the car the next afternoon, drove it to the store which is about 10 minutes away, without any problems. Parked the car and went into the store, after about 15 minutes went back to car and used the keyless entry system, lights came on, but not interior lights or instrument lights, no chimes, no radio. Put the key into the ignition and turned the key to on position. No power to anything.
Checked all the fuses and relays in the engine compartment, all looked OK, had a store person try to boost my car to see if my battery was low. No go. Touched the tow jumper cable ends together quickly to see if there was any juice in the battery and got a good spark, so battery is powered up. Called AAA and they tried to figure it out, but to no avail. While the AAA technician was sitting in the car the lights came on by themselves without him doing anything, then back out again. He tried moving the battery connections to see they were loose, removed them and reinstalled them, the interior lights came off them off again, but not start.
When the technician did get the light to come on for a very short time period (three times) he tried to turn the key to the on position, but all power went dead. He said it could be a bad ground or a bad relay somewhere but that it would need to be looked at in a repair facility. He towed the vehicle to the garage and I am awaiting a call to see what it might be.
Can you advise on what your best guess would be. Any assistance would be much appreciated. I am not a mechanic and don't want to be "hoodwinked" for expensive fixes that are not necessary.
have the same problem?
Monday, September 23rd, 2013 AT 9:47 PM