Electrical/radio 2007 GMC Sierra classic

CARTER96
  • 2007 GMC SIERRA

I have a 2007 gmc sierra classic crew cab. I started having problems with my radio this week so I decided to change out the head unit. Put a new one that is recommended for my truck and same thing is happening. First thing in the morning the radio only comes out of the small speakers in the front doors and sounds horrible. This lasts till about the same time every day around 11am. Any ideas of what can be causing this? Thanks

Friday, May 13th, 2011 AT 2:51 PM

FIXITMR

Is there a separate amp unit? Change that.

-1
Friday, May 13th, 2011 AT 6:30 PM
CARTER96

No. No amp. What has me stumped is that it worked fine last night and now it is doing the same thing the old stock radio was doing. Would putting it on a code reader maybe tell me something? My check engine light has been on for about 6 months now. Last time I did that they told me it said a part my truck supposedly doesn't have was showing defective

-1
Friday, May 13th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM
CARTER96

The radio did not start working yesterday at all. In doing some research the only thing I have come up with is possibly the bcm. Is there any way to test this? Also, I did not think of this before but I have been going through low beam headlights kind of fast. Changed them 3 times in the past 6 months

-1
Saturday, May 14th, 2011 AT 11:30 AM
FIXITMR

Standard bulbs or high performance colored 1's? And you do know not to touch the glass part with fingers right?

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 11:38 PM
WILBER100

Hey carter96, did you ever solve this problem? My '07 sierra is having the same symptoms.

+1
Friday, January 20th, 2012 AT 2:05 AM
WILBER100

Hey carter96, did you ever solve this one? My 07 sierra has the same symptoms, the two front tweeters and one rear speaker work. The rest have no output at all.

-2
Friday, January 20th, 2012 AT 2:08 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Guys, use a meter to check for output on the channels that aren't working. Check continuity of the wires between the head unit and the speakers. Make sure the speaker polarity is correct.

Also, as fixitmr mentioned, NEVER handle the glass portion of light bulbs with bare hands. The oils and acids in your fingers will cause them to burn out prematurely.

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 6:24 AM
WILBER100

Thanks rivermikerat. I verified the problem to be the speakers. How in the heck can three spekers go out at practically the same time? It is only five years old too!

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012 AT 1:29 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Check the wiring. Especially the connector in the back of the head unit. You're most likely going to find something loose. Also check the moisture barriers around the speakers.

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 AT 4:54 AM
07CLASSICCREW4.8

I have a 2007 Sierra crew that does the same thing, it seems to happen when the weather is damp or wet, like early in the morning. I've checked the head unit and wiggled the wires, unplugged and plugged back in with no luck so I'm going to try the speakers next.

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 12:50 PM
WILBER100

Hey classiccrew,
how many of you speakers went out? And do you like to "crank up the volume"?

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 3:44 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Turning it up, as SpinalTap once said "to 11" when you have speakers not working properly will end up blowing both the pre-amp AND the post-amp sections of the head unit, or external amp, if you have one. Determine and fix the problem first.

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 4:57 PM
CINEMADUCK

I have a 2007 GMC Sierra ext cab doing the same thing. My Drivers front and rear speaker do not work until it gets very hot outside. The drivers tweeter on the pillar and all of the passenger speakers work all the time. I have checked all connections, back of stereo, speakers, and even tested the speakers on another 4 ohm setup. All are good. I finally talked to an after market stereo installer and he said this is a common problem with the 07 and 08. It is a short somewhere in the dash wiring. I am beginning to trace the problem now. When I figure it out, I will be back to respond again.

Thursday, September 13th, 2012 AT 10:49 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

We might be able to help with a wiring schematic cinemaduck. Let us know if one would be helpful and we'll take a look at our reference material.

Thursday, September 13th, 2012 AT 11:37 PM
WILBER100

This should be interesting cinemaduck. Too bad the installer didn't give you more specifics about the short.I did all the same things you did, like cleaning contacts at the speaker wires and the connector on the head unit.

Friday, September 14th, 2012 AT 12:11 AM
ROBMURPHEY

I have the same issue, started about a month ago. Front and rear door speakers go in and out seemingly with the weather. I have never been the crank up the volume type, JFYI. I could believe it was a short, but I have a hard time connecting weather and a short.

Friday, September 14th, 2012 AT 1:54 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

I'm leaning more towards a cold solder joint that "freshens up" as the temperature increases. I can't think of anything else that could be weather- or temperature-related.

Friday, September 14th, 2012 AT 2:19 PM
ROBMURPHEY

Replaced the two front door speakers, they are working now. The wires connected to the factory speakers are soldered (didn't look unusual), perhaps that is the weak link though. Speakers appear to be in good condition. I have a friend that is a technician for an audio manufacturer, he is going to take a look at them to see if something in the speakers failed, design flaw or just poor workmanship.

Friday, September 14th, 2012 AT 7:43 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

You want solder to be bright and shiny. If it's dull, it's a cold solder joint and making a weak connection/bond.

Friday, September 14th, 2012 AT 8:10 PM
CINEMADUCK

Alrighty everyone! Here is what was wrong with mine. The speakers. They would come on intermittently but only in hot dry weather. I hooked up an old speaker I had, directly to the existing plug and it worked. I also tried hooking up the wires to the voice coil wires of the stock speakers and it still did not make the stock speakers work. The stock speakers will only work when hot. This tells me that something inside the speaker is not Scottish, so to speak. So, in my case, I am replacing my speakers. I will be sure to get back on here and let everyone know if something else goes wrong with it.

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 AT 8:12 PM