2007 Ford Taurus Starting Issue

SSUDROW
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS
My car randomly wont start after I have driven it for a while. Seems to be heat related, as if its a short drive, and cool weather, it wont happen. When its a longer drive, or a short one in hot weather, it wont crank. When I turn the key, I hear a click, and that's all. This happened before, but using the clicker to turn off the PATS system worked every time, now it wont work from that at all. The car has to sit for several hours before I can start it again.

Already Checked: Battery, Starter, Spark Plugs & wires, Fuses.

Is it a relay, or something else?
Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 AT 12:25 PM

SATURNTECH9
You tested the starter when the engine was cranking over?Starters can be very intermittent when they fail. They can test fine and then when they get hot to a certain temp not restart the the car till they cool down.
Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 AT 10:24 PM
SSUDROW
The starter was tested and appears to be working fine. It seems like, when the issue occurs, the starter doesn't get power. It's definitely not the pats system, as when it does start up again, I don't need the clicker.
Thursday, July 16th, 2015 AT 6:19 AM
SATURNTECH9
Let me say this again a starter can test good then when it gets to a certain temp it can fail and not start the car. Its not uncommon have seen this a lot and is difficult to diagnose. Because you have to check for the power trigger at the starter with the key in the start position with the starter not working at the time.I hope explained like that you now know what iam talking about?To the starter can test good a 100 different times but I still wont not rule it out with the issue your describing.I even made a feed back light for those intermittent starters I suspect and let the person drive around till it doesn't start.I have them tell me did the liggt come on when it wouldn't start?
Thursday, July 16th, 2015 AT 12:33 PM
SSUDROW
Ok. I'll get a starter and see if that fixes it. Thank you so much.
Monday, July 20th, 2015 AT 7:38 AM