2007 FORD FOCUS PROBLEMS STARTING

• nikioc84
  • 2007 Ford Focus

I'm having trouble starting my 2007 ford focus SE if it sits for more than about 8 hours. I initially replaced the battery, thinking it had a dead cell, this was not the problem. If I just go into the grocery store and come back out, it starts fine. I have to jump my car off to start it otherwise. The battery is never dead, and I never have to wait when jumping the car, it starts right away. And I have no problem with the car loosing power or acting funny while I'm driving. I had the alternator tested at an auto parts store, they said it was fine. My father in law also tested it, he also thinks it is fine. There is a clicking sound when I try to start the car. He thinks its the solenoid in the starter. I'm inclined to believe him, but I'm a little hesitant because this has been going on for months and I just feel like if it were the starter it would have been out by now? I have another friend who thinks its the battery connection, due to the intermittent starting. Opinions?

Tuesday, May 27th, 2014 AT 10:39 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Is the problem that the starter won't turn the engine over, or it does but has a delayed start?

Tuesday, May 27th, 2014 AT 11:00 AM
  • nikioc84

No delayed start. The engine will not turn over at all (it just clicks) until I attach a jump box to the battery. Once I do that, I can start it.

Tuesday, May 27th, 2014 AT 11:05 AM
  • nikioc84

And once I've started it by jumping the battery once in a day, I can often start it again without a problem.

Tuesday, May 27th, 2014 AT 11:08 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If that is what is happening, chances are the starter should be replaced. However, before I would do it, I would check to make sure power it getting to the starter. I would also make sure the battery wasn't partially drained while sitting. Here is a funny trick (don't laugh). Sometimes when a starter starts doing this, it is the result of bad or worn brushes, armature, or field windings. Tapping on the starter gently with a hammer will usually get it working if that is the problem. I know it sounds crazy, but try tapping on it when this happens. If you do, let me know what you find.

Tuesday, May 27th, 2014 AT 6:04 PM
  • nikioc84

I will, thank you.

Tuesday, May 27th, 2014 AT 8:59 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 AT 5:29 AM