CAR WON'T START

2007 Ford Focus

jhedglin

September, 20, 2013 AT 5:26 PM

This first started about two months ago, jumped the car, took it to ford dealer, they said it just needed a new battery, we installed on. Now it died again on my way home from work last night, lights dimmed a few times then engine died. Today I had a friend try to jump it, it starts initially but dies after about 5 min. When I try to start it w/o jump it tries to turn over and the windshield wipers come on (note we turned off all electrics we could when jumping, so no reason for wipers to come on). When the car died originally we thought it might be the alternator, and now that the new battery died so quickly I was thinking the same, but I have never seen an alternator problem cause wipers to come on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jacobandnickolas

September, 20, 2013 AT 6:44 PM

I have to be honest, strange things can happen when the battery is weak. To me, it does sound like a bad alternator. I would remove it and have it bench tested at a parts store. Most will do it for free. Make sure to disconnect the battery before working on the alternator.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement