2007 Dodge Caliber Overheating

SMGRIEGO
  • 2007 DODGE CALIBER
Car on highway has been overheating on long road trips. I have plenty of coolant and the thermometer guage stays in middle of H and C. Im not sure whats happening or why. My car will slow down at a certain speed and the guage will show the heat rising
Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 AT 10:34 AM

Has the engine actually overheated? As far as the slowing down, the computer will shut the engine down if it thinks it is overheating.
+2
Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 AT 7:09 PM
SMGRIEGO
No it didnt actually overheat I pulled over for about twenty mins.
Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 8:42 AM
The reason I question if it overheated is because it may deal with the temp sending unit. It may show hot, but the engine may not actually be hot.
Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 3:33 PM
SMGRIEGO
Thats what the gauge with the H and C level showed, that it was at normal temp, but the temp light went on and the car slowed down. Im a little worried this car has given me so much crap Im so tired of it all!
+1
Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 9:09 AM
SMGRIEGO
Being a single mother and only one vehicle and no mechanic.
Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 9:15 AM
Since the engine isn't actually overheating, I believe you have a bad temperature sending unit. What happens is this. If the computer thinks the engine is overheating, it will shut things down to trying to eliminate the problem.
+1
Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 8:50 PM
SMGRIEGO
Is this something cheap to fix? Do you know how much they run and would I beable to do it myself?
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 8:02 AM
A sending unit should be under 20.00 and all you do is unscrew the old one and screw the new one in its place.
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 7:34 PM
SMGRIEGO
Would the manuel have it pictured for me to find it? Im sorry for all the questions!
Monday, August 5th, 2013 AT 8:11 AM
Don't worry about the questions. That is why I'm here. I don't think your manual will have that info. It should be near or around the thermostat housing. When you get the part, ask them if they can give you a print out of the location. Most of these parts stores today have that info at their finger tips.
Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 AT 7:42 PM