Headlight low beam problems

CHEFTBONETONY
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

My low beam went out and I thought it was the bulb. I replaced both bulbs and turned the lights on and I still am unable to get the light to work. I tested the light socket and there is power to it when I turn the lights on. When I re-plugged the bulb back in it, it does not work. I tested the wire again, this time with the light in it and it does not have the same 11.9 reading on my meter.

It is just the passenger side that is out. I have checked the 20 amp fuse in the panel and it is good too.

The number seventeen fuse has has power to both sides of the fuse with the low beams on. The black ground wire for the lamp has 0.1 ohms. With the low beams on and the light bulb out of the connector, the yellow wire reads 11.8. When I plug the bulb in and turn the lights on the yellow bulb reads 0.00 nothing.

I have three bulbs here and I am able to power them up and get them working if I jump it with my power probe. It is when the circuit is completed by plugging in the bulb it looses power. In the fuse panel, I did switch the hi/lo rely with another from the panel and still have the same results.

I am able to jump it and get the bulb to come on. Help please and thank you.

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 12:14 AM

2CARPROS KEN

It looks like you might have a relay that is out, also you can check the power feeds to the headlight bulb. Here is a guide and a headlight wiring diagram and relay location guide (below) that will help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Please let us know what happens, we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken

+3
Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 5:54 PM
ZPITCH

Did you find the problem? I am having the same issue on the driver's side.

+2
Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 AT 9:29 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Check out the diagrams in the post above. If everything checks out then the BCM is bad and needs to be replaced.

Cheers, Ken

-1
Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 AT 10:42 AM
KELLYM7
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2007 Chevy Silverado Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I am trying to replace a low beam bulb on my 2007, 2500 duramax. I can't figure out how to access the bulb. There are two screws in the top of the headlamp assy. But this only loosens the assy. Something is still keeping it from coming out. How do I access the back of the assy so I can remove the bulb?

Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 AT 10:43 AM (Merged)
FACTORYJACK

If this is the old body style, I am showing retainer pins(look like the letter 'L') that rotate and pull out. If this is the new body style silverado, it shows to remove no screws. If it is passenger side bulbs, remove air box and reach in from behind, if it is drivers side bulbs, remove auxiliary battery(if equipped), and reach in from the backside.

JANIE SCOTT
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

We have had to replace the bulb on the passenger side five times in two years. The driver side has yet to be replaced. What could be causing this to happen repeatedly?

If you purchased the cheap Chinese bulbs that auto parts dump on the public then that may it. Purchase name brands like Sylvania/Borg Warner etc. Then check ground on header panel where radiator is and for good contact when bulb is installed. Do not touch the bulb with hand/fingers the oil gets on them from your hand and shortens life drastically.

PYROTECH89
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I have a '07 silvarado (new body) and I am trying to change the headlight but I cant get to the bulb How do I get to it?

-1

If you pull the push pins on the top of the cover by the radiator you should be able to reach them. There are 9 pins. Pull the centers up and then pull the pins out to remove them otherwise you will break them

-1

If you are going to change the whole headlight then you will need to pull the grill as well. That is held in by a few bolts 10MM and clips that you will need pliers to squeeze together to remove it.

-1
ZPITCH

Mine ended up being loose wire on the connector. Wiggled the wire and it came on

Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 AT 12:09 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 AT 4:05 PM
HAMPTON4PREZ
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2006 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

The plug that goes into the headlight itself has melted into the light bulb. I just ordered a new hearness from the dealer and decided to do it myself since they were going to charge $218 for installation when the part was only $32. Is this a mistake on my part, should I have them do it? Im pretty good with cars but havent checked had any problems with this truck yet, since I bought it new. Can you give me any tips or what not to does?

-Thanks.

Tuesday, November 7th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM (Merged)

Hello, are you talking about just the connector? On a lot of makes and models, the connector comes apart.

I looked at ac delco, it showed a connector for the wiring harness, 34 bucks. I don't know if it's just the connector or if it comes with a pigtail? If there's a pigtail, weather proof the connection. I don't think you'll have any problems.

JACK4796

HAMPTON4PREZ - did the harnsss replacement work? Personally, I was able to watch a video or two with instructions on removing the headlamp.I did it and so could you. It would save you a bunch of money, and you only need a few tools and some painters tape.

Thursday, November 16th, 2017 AT 5:27 PM
JOE1953
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • RWD

When I dim my light to low beam the bulb on the left side does not shine. What I have to do to replace the low beam bulb on the left side? Can you send me pictures on how to replace the low beam bulb on the left side?

Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 11:53 AM (Merged)

Check fuse and relay under hood fuse box first. It might have a pin under hood that you remove to remove headlight to replace it would be right out in open and easily spotted. Here is a link to a great article from this site with pictures on how to replace a headlight.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-headlight-bulb

JOE1953

The bulb was burn out broke and water was inside the light (len) how water get into there?

The seal is broken in headlight get another one.

+1
JOE1953

Where do I get the seal for the headlight?