First off, intermittent problems are always the hardest to properly diagnose. You may get it to not work for a second but its not enough to start monitoring certain components especially if you can't get it to happen more than once. I usually start wiggling connectors and tapping components and watching to see if it happens again. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. My guess for your problem would've been the actuator and/or the selector. And if you were my client, I would give you basically 2 simple options to deal with this and in my opinion, it doesn't make sense not to choose the first one option. I would give you the first option of replacing whatever the cheapest component is which in your case is the selector switch and then see if it worked and go from there. Second option would be to replace both components but this option is not a very smart option because you're basically already guessing to begin with and throwing expensive parts at it without trying the cheapest route isn't efficient for your wallet. They may have very well checked the switch and found it working at the time of inspection so I can't judge on that but I agree with you they should've tried that first before the actuator. My job details everything that was done to come up with the final conclusion because the customer can turn around and sue us and if we go to court, we need to provide how everything was handled and to justify why we did what we did.
Monday, July 27th, 2015 AT 7:15 PM