LEVEL IN SURGE TENGINE COOLANT SYSTEM GOES DOWN

2007 Chevrolet Optra

cookiecrisp325

May, 29, 2012 AT 9:42 AM

Why would the level in my surge tank for my engine coolant system go down after the car is started and running? Noticed some faint smoke blowing in from the a/c vents pulled over and vented the surge tank and noticed that level for the coolant was at the bottom of the surge tank. No where close to the min/max level on the tank.

93 F150 Hesitates/surges

Engine Surging

Wrenchtech

May, 29, 2012 AT 10:03 AM

The level is supposed to move up and down with temp but if it's losing average or cold level, then you need to pressure test the system for leaks.

cookiecrisp325

May, 29, 2012 AT 11:12 AM

@wrenchtech. If there is a leak in the system, wouldnt there be a puddle or something because it goes down but I dont smell any engine coolant like when you open the radiator cap and if memory serves me correct engine coolant isnt one of those ordorless gas.

Wrenchtech

May, 29, 2012 AT 11:16 AM

Don't expect a puddle because it can evaporate before hitting the ground. You need to pressure test the system to search for leaks.