2006 RAV4 6CYLINDER A TOYOTA REPLACEMENT MUFFLER...

2006 Toyota Rav4

Anonymous

December, 6, 2012 AT 9:10 PM

2006 RAV4 6-cylinder: A Toyota replacement muffler is only sold as a unit made up of the muffler, the catalytic converter, and the connecting pipe; all configured as a fixed unit, i.E. Welded, no clamps joining the parts. Dealer price is $1,195 for the part + labor. Question: is there something unique about the Toyota muffler that makes it proprietary to function as an integral part of the catalytic converter/exhaust system? There is no external sign that the cat converter itself is compromised. I could have a muffler shop physically cut out the bad muffler and replace it for MUCH less $$ but does Toyota's extreme pricing indicate that an aftermarket muffler might not properly work with the cat system? Thank you.

caradiodoc

December, 6, 2012 AT 9:34 PM

Most manufacturers buy their exhaust systems as complete assemblies to make installation faster and more accurate on the assembly line and Toyota is no different. They are always welded and are usually made of expensive stainless steel. Your muffler should have lasted longer than 6 years. The one on my '88 Grand Caravan lasted 18 years. The replacements have been averaging 2 years since then.

The reason you have to buy the whole system from Toyota is because that's how they pay to replace it when the vehicle is under warranty. They don't expect you to buy that entire system from them when you're paying the bill. Go to any exhaust shop for a replacement. They will cut the old one off and clamp in a universal replacement that will work just fine.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen