DOES CHANGING GEAR OIL HELP IMPROVE CONDITION OF GEAR

2006 Toyota Avensis

sunny1234

November, 1, 2011 AT 8:26 PM

My gearbox makes noise when I go into 3rd gear and continues when I am in 3rd gear and also when I go into fourth. If I change the gear oil do you think there will be any improvement to the gearbox.

also my timing chain makes noise when I have driven for for a sustained length of time, or say after an hour or two of intermittent driving it starts and continues but I hear no noise when I go on short journeys at the beginning of the day. Does it need to be changed immediately or can I wait till the time when I hear noise continously?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 2, 2011 AT 12:50 AM

As far as the chain, are you refering to the timing chain? If so, I recommend that you follow the manufacturer's recommendations in the owner's manual.

Gear lube can get dirty. It should be changed on a regular basis. As far as the noise, it could be a bearing that is damaged. The cheapest thing to try is changing the gear lube. It will not hurt.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service