Checking transmission fluid

JOE1953
  • 2006 SATURN ION
I want to know how to check the transmission fluid level and where is the dipstick on this car? I have had the car almost six month now I have never check the transmission fluid level. Does this car have a dipstick to check the transmission fluid level? I looked for the dipstick but I have not found one where is it located.
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 9:28 PM

MLDANIELS2000
Does not have a dipstick tube. Has a plug to check fluid from underneath. Suggest having a shop do it due to special care needed to check and change fluid.

No special tool. Plug can be taken of with ratchet. Just a pain to do. Will list procedure.

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified.
Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
Note: Refer to transmission fluid vent cap removal notice in cautions and notices.
Remove the fluid vent cap.
Caution: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the park range.
Remove the transmission oil level control plug.
Important: The transmission fluid may darken with normal use and does not always indicate contamination or oxidation.
Check the fluid color. If necessary, use a small screwdriver as a dipstick.

CHECK THE DIAGRAM BELOW!
+11
Friday, January 31st, 2014 AT 10:40 AM
COLLEGE101
MLDANIELS2000:

I have a similar question.

My new 2003 Saturn Ion coupe says my transmission is "hot trans" when I
reach about seventy five to eighty mph on the highway. I am trying to locate the level plug.

Is this the same transmission as pictured previously above?
-1
Tuesday, June 21st, 2016 AT 2:01 PM
KEN
Yes it is.
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:37 AM
LJMSR
  • 2006 SATURN ION
How to check the transmission fluid level? I lost it in it.
Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 4:38 AM (Merged)
It has to be on level ground or a hoist where it is level then a plug has to be pulled to see if it is correct level or not. Vent cap must be removed first after transmission is hot or warm. Then plug must be removed and fluid added.5 quarts at a time until it comes out. Item 52 in one picture is vent cap.
BAMBICONN
  • 2007 SATURN ION
How and where do I check the transmission fluid?
+1
SATURNTECH9
On that one there is no dipstick and unless the car is level the level hole will not give you a accurate reading. Why do you think it is low? Do you have a leak? How many mikes has it been since you changed the fluid?