Service engine soon and acceleraion issue

MADDY
  • 2006 NISSAN SENTRA
I have a Nissan Sentra 2006. Yesterday, the 'Service engine soon' started appearing and this morning, I am unable to accelerate the car beyond 15 rpm. The car moves very slowly at 5mph. The air filter looks clean. Please let me know if you need additional details or any manual checks that I can make before handing it over to the mechanic. Thanks!
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 4:51 PM

KHLOW2008
Get a free scan done at Autozone and let me know the EXACT trouble code for the SES light indicating.
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 5:53 PM
MADDY
I did the scan and the trouble code is P2101.
+1
Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 AT 12:23 AM
KHLOW2008
Here is an explanation of the trouble code.

DTC P2101 ELECTRIC THROTTLE CONTROL FUNCTION
DESCRIPTION
Electric throttle control actuator consists of throttle control motor, throttle position sensor, etc.

The throttle control motor is operated by the ECM and it opens and closes the throttle valve.

The current opening angle of the throttle valve is detected by the throttle position sensor and it provides feedback to the ECM to control the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to driving condition.

ON BOARD DIAGNOSIS LOGIC
This self-diagnosis has the one trip detection logic.

CONDITION

Electric throttle control function does not operate performance

POSSIBLE CAUSE

Harness or connectors (Throttle control motor circuit is open or shorted)
Electric throttle control actuator

FAIL-SAFE MODE
When the malfunction is detected, ECM enters fail-safe mode and the MIL lights up.

Engine operating condition in fail-safe mode ECM stops the electric throttle control actuator control, throttle valve is maintained at a fixed opening (approx. 5 degrees) by the return spring.
Tuesday, November 30th, 2010 AT 1:29 PM
MADDY
Thank you. My mechanic says the problem is with the air-control valve and has to be replaced. I wanted to know how much should I get worried about this mal-function, as I bought this used car a week back. I have an option to return the car. Please let me know.
Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 1:07 AM
KHLOW2008
The code is not for the air control valve. Normally such problem should be minor and it could be some loose wiring or a bad throttle control motor and some tweaking or replacement of the parts concerned should get the car going in good order.

However it is a safety concern as you do not know when the car is going to loose power abruptly so it should be resolved as soon as possible.
Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 12:16 PM