WE HAVE A 2006 SONATA 62000 MILES

2006 Hyundai Sonata

Anonymous

December, 26, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

We have a 2006 sonata, 62,000 miles. It has a very loud squeaky noise from the front suspension when driven over bumps. The noise is really loud and bad when the car is cold. After doing some research, it sounds like either the front end bushings or ball joints. We decided to take it to Firestone and have it looked at. Cost us 23.00 dollars for the mechanic to tell and show us that the frontend bushings are cracked. The ball joints are good and the lower arms are good. Prior to taking it to Firestone, we took it to Midas, thinking it was the shocks or struts. Midas said they were all good, no problems but he did not know what was causing the "squeaky" noise.

The mechanic at Firestone gave us two options. The first was to replcae the frontend bushings, frontend lower arms, front struts and shocks all for about 1800.00 dollars. He recommended us replacing the struts and shocks because the bushings and arms were going to be replace.

The second option is to replace the two bushings and the two lower arms, all for about 900.00 dollars. He said he just can't replace the bushings, stating that the lower arms need to be replaced with the bushings.

My question is, Are the mechanics quotes pretty close to what work will be performed. Seemed a bit high. We are shying away from a Hynduia dealership because we feel that we were "jobbed" the last time we brought the car in for repairs. Honestly, we are not happy with this car. Should we go through a dealership to get it fixed? The mechanic told us that since it was just the bushings causing the noise, it was not a safety issue at this time. Is this true because our son uses the car for college. Thanks for your time

hmac300

December, 26, 2012 AT 8:44 PM

If the bushings are cracked doesnt' mean they are worn out, they can crack after age on the outside but still remain ok inside. Prices vary accross u.S so you can always have a thrid opinion if you like. The red arrows are the bushing in question and the curved arrow is also where it could squeak as those are urethan e bushings. What you could do is try a little oil on where i've pointed with the yellow arrowstop/bot of springcause it may be just the spring collapsing and rubbing on strut.

hmac300

December, 26, 2012 AT 8:45 PM

Also urethande busing wil make noise as well if not having any lube on t hem.

trongnguyen

First of all I'm not a mechanic. I just want to post the experience that I've had with my 06 Hyundai Sonata GLS. It has the same squeaky noise issue that came from the front end suspension. And yes it is loud when it is cold, or in the early morning. I did some searching on the internet, and found someone with similar issue with his or her 06 Hyundai Sonata and was asking for help. And there was a reply from someone that trying to help out. This person recommended replacing the sway bar link, and the sway bar bushing. I bought these parts from Advance Auto Part for around $130.00. I took the car to the local mechanic and paid $80.00 for labor to replace them. However, it did not fix the noise issue. Spent a little more time searching for more answer on the internet. And found someone else that has similar squeaky suspension noise. Guess what! It was again the Hyundai Sonata. This person was able to fix his squeaky car noise problem by replacing the bushing of upper control arms. My mechanic told me that it would cost more to replace just the bushing than replacing the whole new upper control arm in term of labor. So I ordered both left (driver side) and right (passenger side) upper control arms from Amazon for around $100.00. Paid $80.00 for labor to put them in, and that fixed the annoying squeaky noise issue.

Cswade88

August, 7, 2015 AT 9:56 PM

The Hyundai Sonata and Azera have the same classic noise you are describing and I will tell you 90% of the time it is always the upper control arm bushings. You can purchase the Complete control arm with bushings and tie rod already installed on amazon garage for $50 each and say goodbye to that squeak. I have both these models and both made that noise only on the front passenger side. I got quotes from $550 to $1200 and did it myself in a few hours for just over a $100.

Danshep89

December, 30, 2015 AT 7:28 AM

What was your source for instructions on the replacement? @CSWADE88

Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class