CONSEQUENCES OF OVERHEATING

2006 Hyundai Santro

ali.alvi

October, 10, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

My car has been overheated three times till now but its temperature guage never entered in the red zone three out of three times. My mechanic says that head of your car should be repaired now because there are some kinds of rubbers in head which melts if car is overheated and car starts consuming engine oil. He has not opened the entire engine to see if there is problem in its head or not. Do you think his wild guess is correct?

fixitmr

October, 10, 2011 AT 5:52 PM

What problem is the car having? Is it consuming oil? Would have to get really hot to melt anything. Much hotter than just overtemp. Would have to get hot enough to make engine quit and smoke/smolder.

saturntech9

October, 10, 2011 AT 5:54 PM

I would hate to have you pay someone to remove the head for a wild guess especailly since you said the temp gauge never even went into the red zone on the temp gauge. Did you ever fix why its overheating?

ali.alvi

October, 11, 2011 AT 3:26 PM

First time the cause of overheating was less coolant in radiator. Car started consuming engine oil then.I filled up coolant in radiator and started driving car without overheating problem. After a few days it was again overheated while climbing uphill but surprisingly after this car stopped consuming engine oil. Mechanic changed radiator cap and cap of bottle. After a week it was again overheated.I am not sure it will again start consuming engine oil or not. Do you think there is a problem in head or engine that is causing car to overheat or problem is in radiator?

saturntech9

October, 11, 2011 AT 4:09 PM

If its not going into the red how do you know its overheating?Also do you have any codes?If it is overheating I would look for a problem with it overheating for a more common reason like bad thermostat radiator cooling fan not working correctly radiator fins clogged up with debris plastic bags animal fur etc. Before chasing down a head gasket issue etc.

fixitmr

October, 11, 2011 AT 6:48 PM

Keep an eye on coolant to see if it is disappearing/going down slowly.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser