Power steering

LUGNUTLISA
  • 2006 FORD TAURUS
I need a diagram showing the route of the return power steering hose on a 2006 ford tarus
Sunday, January 9th, 2011 AT 4:13 PM

Here is a video that shows the steps of changing the power steering line out with diagrams below to show you how on your car.

https://youtu.be/BGBUv5r9fk0

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 1:53 AM
BLM
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
I recently replaced my power steering pump, and found that the pressure hose was leaking badly at the pump fitting.
I was told that I needed a special teflon o-ring seal and a special tool to install the seal on the hose. I bought a bag of 6 seals and the tool, and reinstalled the pump. The pump still leaked badly. I did this four more times, each time using a new seal, and had the same problem.
I need to know if it is possible that the problem could be the hose itself, or if there is some other detail that I'm missing.
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019 AT 5:56 PM (Merged)
MASTERTECHTIM
Look real close at the line, it could be cracked at the flange. Clean it real good with brake cleaner and inspect it.
+1
BLM
Thanks, I'll try that.
SHAWN PHILLIP
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
Is it possible to get the power steering lines going to the variable assist power steering system on the rack and Pinion mixed up
MHPAUTOS
Am quite sure that you can't mix them up, what is the problem that you are experiencing?
BARBARA1963
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
How do I get the air out of the power steering line?
Turn the steering wheel all the way to left and hold for thirty seconds then to the right and do same. Repeat this five times. Make sure fluid level is full prior to starting and finishing.
NIC199112324112
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
I recently replaced my ac compressor. To remove it, I had to disconnect the power steering pressure hose. While it was off, I made sure it was covered to prevent debris from entering the system. After the compressor was in, I reconnected the power steering pressure hose with a new seal. But when I was trying to bleed the power steering system, I noticed the steering never eased up. So I'm pretty sure the power steering pump has failed, even though I installed av new one about six months ago. Is there any reason for the power steering pump to fail from just disconnecting the pressure hose?
Not really check to see if you have the proper fluid in the pump. If you do wha tis in pic thenyou have to apply vacuum to pump while running to get air out.
BILL OSMANN
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
It's been suggested that I have air in the lines of my power steering. Would you be kind enough to explain to me how to bleed them?
BMRFIXIT
HYDRAULIC SYSTEM BLEEDING
Fill pump reservoir. Start engine. Operate steering for 2 minutes, or until power steering fluid reaches operating temperature. Stop engine. Recheck fluid level. Add fluid as necessary. Repeat procedure until fluid level stabilizes.
Raise and support vehicle so front wheels are off ground. Start engine. Turn steering wheel from stop to stop several times. Avoid holding wheel against stops in full left or right position. Fluid level should remain visible.
Return wheels to center position. Operate engine for 2-3 minutes. Lower and road test vehicle. Recheck fluid level. Fluid containing air will have a milky appearance. If air is still present in system, repeat preceding steps. All air should be eliminated to obtain normal steering.
NOTE:If abnormal noise or foamy/milky appearance of fluid persists, air may be trapped in power steering system. Using Rotunda Vacuum Tester (021-00014) and the following procedure to eliminate this condition.

Carefully remove dipstick. Check and fill reservoir to COLD mark. Disconnect and ground ignition coil lead. Raise front wheels off ground.
Crank engine 30 seconds while turning steering wheel. DO NOT hold wheel on stops. Add fluid if necessary. Attach coil lead. Install vacuum tester onto reservoir.

NOTE:DO NOT use engine as vacuum source to purge air from power steering system.

Start engine. With engine idling, apply 20-25 in. Hg vacuum to reservoir. As air is purged from system, vacuum and fluid level will decrease.
Maintain specified vacuum for about 3 minutes. Release vacuum. Check fluid level. Fill as necessary. Install dipstick. Start engine.
Turn steering wheel from stop to stop while checking for leaks. If air is still present in system, repeat procedure until all air is removed. Lower vehicle. Road test vehicle.
+2
FORDTODD
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

2002 taurus power steering has been whining. Was told had a leak in a high pressure hose. Now is begining to get real hard to steer. Have searched for leak and couldnt find one but was still losing fluid. Noticed after car was shut off fluid is coming out of vent in the cap and frothy? I think what was originally thought was a leak is where it is coming out of the vent in the cap. They saw fluid on various areas and assumed a leak. So what would cause it to push back through the cap after engine is shut off
MERLIN2021
The froth is proof there is air in the system, this will cause both the whine and hard steering, The rack can leak inside the dust bellows at the ends of the rack, remove the outer clamp and see if it leaks, it can leak at either side, but most common is the drivers side, and it can be a hose as well, look for any wet spots on the hoses.
FORDTODD
Thanks Merlinhavent checked the rack but I think what I thought was a leak is actually where im losing fluid through the vent in the cap after shut off. What would cause the fluid to come up out of the vent
MERLIN2021
Over fillig ususally does it. If you do have a leak it must be pretty small, the aerated fluid is expanding, and the pump itself could be the problem. Power steering is a high pressure hydraulic system, so if there is a leak, it usually drains very quickly! Your pump on the other hand can be aerating the fluid and lost most of it's pumping ability, like a bad heart!
DET23
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
Steering problem
2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a leak somewhere in my power steering, don't know where it's coming from. I replaced the hose and the pump. This is my first car, so I don't really know what else to do. If I have to get the rack fixed, how much do you will cost at a good shop? I just need a round a bout estimate, so these shops wont try to rip me off.
BMRFIXIT
Clean area and fill system and check
turn wheel all way one side and hold check for leaks
its about 5 hr to do the rack and pinion + parts
$ 600 to $700 easy
good luck
CHADV920
  • 1994 FORD TAURUS
I was wondering how difficult it is to change the hoses or pump on my 94 taurus.
Thanks for your time
TAURUSWHEEL
Check the routing of the lines, may require things to be moved, for the pump, they used to require a pulley remover and installer combo, at least on the older models. I haven't done one on my 93 or 94 yet, the pumps are actually nice and quiet, a rarity