Truck engine replacement

JOSHUAHAISTEN@YAHOO.COM
  • 2006 FORD F-150

I have a 2006 ford f150 with the non-flex fuel 5.4 recently it stopped running and when I took it in to 2 shops for diagnostic they stated #8 cylinder had come apart and I needed a new motor. My question is this. What is the cheapest way to do this. I found a motor from a navigator with 89k miles on it for 2300. How much should I expect to pay to have it installed. And is it a good idea to go with a motor like this. I only have about $3,300 to spend and from everything I read this is no way enough. What can I do I need to get it fixed

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 5:38 PM

ASEMASTER6371

The used motor is the way to go but 2300 sounds high. I would continue to shop around. I think that 1500-1800 is more realistic.

The labor is the killer. It pays around 18-20 hours to change.

Remember, they will be no warranty what so ever from the shop as you supplied the motor.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 5:43 PM
JOSHUAHAISTEN@YAHOO.COM

What is the highest mileage you would recommend from a used motor? Where would you suggest I look to find a motor at the price you think is acceptable? You said I would have no warranty if I supplied the motor but will a shop find a used motor for me? And if so how much more would they charge than if I found it myself?

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 6:07 PM
JOSHUAHAISTEN@YAHOO.COM

And how many hours am I looking at for labor on a motor swap?

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 6:08 PM
ASEMASTER6371

As I said before 18-20 hours in labor.

A shop will find it but they will mark it up as they are in business to make money. The amount is up to them.

Call several junk yards for pricing. I never believe mileages they give as it cannot be verified.

Some junk yards will install the motor as well. As them when you call.

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 6:12 PM