2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Can't shift out of park

MICHAELBARRINGER
  • 2006 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
I recently bought a 2006 PT Cruiser convertible that had sat for a while, it will not shift out of park, I checked the brake lights, they work fine, I have been trying to loosen up the linkage where it attaches to the transmission, the shaft where the linkage attaches will not move, could it be frozen?I have been spraying it with rust penentrant trying to loosen it up, Unfortunately I broke the shifter inside the vehicle trying to get the car to come out of park, but I can replace that if I get the darned car out of park, any suggestions?
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 8:30 AM

RIVERMIKERAT
Disconnect the linkage or cable at the shifter and see if the transmission will come out of park. If not, disconnect it at the transmission and try.
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 8:49 AM
MICHAELBARRINGER
I tried that, it did not move, do you think it's gotten frozen somehow?
Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 AT 5:06 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Yes. Somewhere. Disconnect it at both ends. See if the cable moves. Check it for binding anywhere. Kinks, the like. With it disconnected at both ends, see if you can move the linkage on the side of the transmission itself. The shifter? It might be the problem.
Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 AT 8:06 PM
MICHAELBARRINGER
I tried that, the cable moves freely, the shaft where the linkage attaches just will not budge, I've tried soaking it with PB Blaster trying to free it up but its just not moving, I can't get any kind of wrench on the shaft to try to turn it because it's on the top of the tranny. Any other suggestions?
Thursday, September 17th, 2015 AT 4:13 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Tear down and repair, junkyard tranny, or rebuilt tranny.

My fear with tearing it down and repairing the reason it won't come out of park is that there's something seriously wrong inside the transaxle that's beyond both of our capabilities to deal with. IF you've got the money and time, I would shop around local junkyards and find the best price for a working trans with a guarantee and swap it. Then flush it well. Before you begin, buy the Chilton's or Haynes Motor Manual for your year vehicle to give you all the steps with pictures. Last time I bought one they were about twenty bucks at Autozone.
Thursday, September 17th, 2015 AT 10:27 AM
MICHAELBARRINGER
That's my thought too, thanks for your time and thoughts, kind of bummed, it only has 85K on it.
Thursday, September 17th, 2015 AT 10:50 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
If you've got the cash, I would call around to pick n pull yards to see what they want for one and go get it if it's within your budget.

You could also see if the library has anything on the car (year, make, and model) or the trans. I know the one near where I used to live has a full automotive section in stock. They weren't available for checkout, but they'd let you copy the pages you needed. You can look to see if the shifter problem is something that looks like you can tackle yourself without much trouble.

Unfortunately, that's the one part of the transmission our reference doesn't touch on.
Thursday, September 17th, 2015 AT 1:12 PM
MICHAELBARRINGER
I can get a decent, used tranny for under $300.00 but can you do it with the vehicle on the ground or do you need a lift?
Saturday, September 19th, 2015 AT 8:35 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
I've done it by myself, in a driveway with a jack and stands.
Saturday, September 19th, 2015 AT 5:35 PM
MICHAELBARRINGER
Thanks for the replies, I may try it myself as it's very expensive to have a transmission shop do it.
Monday, September 21st, 2015 AT 6:17 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Correction: too ridiculously expensive.
-1
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 AT 2:21 PM
MICHAELBARRINGER
How right you are!
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 AT 4:43 PM