2006 Chevrolet Silverado Rear hub bearing assembly

06 DURAMAX
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • TURBO
I watched your video on this subject and I am not 100% sure witch way the outer bearing race goes in cone up or down I'll try and send pictures. Pic one is up and two is down.
Monday, October 26th, 2015 AT 3:11 PM

KEN
Hey 06 Duramax,

Thanks for watching the video, "cone up" is the way it needs to be installed, please contact us anytime with questions, thanks for using 2CarPros. Com

Best, Ken
Thursday, October 29th, 2015 AT 10:47 AM
06 DURAMAX
Iam not having much luck with this fix. So far the outer bearing has failed twice on me within 40 miles or less. First time I know it was too lose rotor was very close to the caliper the second time I figure it must have been to tight? I thought the hub spun freely enough by hand? Any ideas what else I might be doing wrong?
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 10:39 AM
KEN
You could have a bent axle or housing causing the issue although being either to lose or tight can cause the failure as well, When setting the load on the bearing remember that when it heats up it expends slightly so a too tight bearing become super tight and fails that much quicker.
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 11:47 AM
06 DURAMAX
The Axel and housing should be fine the original problem was the parking break so I thought while I was there. I read somewhere that 50 foot pounds on the hub housing nut should be about right for the load on the bearings does that sound about right.
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 12:04 PM
KEN
The main axle hub/bearing nut should never be tightened at all, please referrer to this video for more information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMxfb9X3ywE

let me know if you have any questions

Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 1:40 PM