DIFFICULTY STARTING WHEN ENGINE IS HOT.

2006 Chevrolet HHR

Dyke67ny

June, 26, 2012 AT 9:13 PM

For the past month, I've encountered a difficult engine start. I "bump" the starter & it will continue to attempt a start only to shut off. Only after multiple attempts will the engine start & run normally. Also, there are no trouble codes.

This issue only happens when the engine is hot or if the car has not sat long enough after some drive time. If left overnight, the car starts/runs normally.

I've been doing some research & many have commented that it appears to be a faulty fuel pump issue in where it's not holding pressure. After others online indicated they replaced the pump & the issue was resolved, I replaced mine only to still have this issue.

Again, the vehicle starts normally & runs great if the engine is cool.

Can you please help?
Sincerely,
Bonnie

June, 26, 2012 AT 9:27 PM

When it shuts off-look for spark immediately and also check fuel pressure-Hot or Cold starts

Dyke67ny

June, 26, 2012 AT 11:47 PM

This evening, when starting the vehicle when hot, it took multiple attempts as usual but this time, it set a trouble code 0300 with a rough idle. I shut it off & restarted it only for it to now run smoothly.

mikederouin88

June, 29, 2012 AT 11:40 AM

Better do a compression check. You might have internal problems. Has the car ever ran hot

June, 29, 2012 AT 6:45 PM

A P0300 Random Misfires are normally caused by vacuum and contaminated fuel-also might want to refer to this in-house walk thru link on mifires/rough problems: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-misfires-or-runs-rough

Dyke67ny

July, 3, 2012 AT 4:10 PM

Issue has been resolved!

Tightened a ground from the transmission to the body as well as cleaned the MAF sensor.

Thank you to all who replied.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Mercedes Air Filter Replacement
Air Filter Change KIA Sportage
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota