TAPPING NOISE ONCE ENGINE WARMED UP

2005 Volkswagen Golf

DRANDLE

August, 6, 2012 AT 7:16 PM

Once warmed up it makes a clicking noise a bit like someone turning a ratchet around if that makes sense? Louder when clutch is suppressed. Noise bounces off walls, bit embarrassing.

Only happens in warm weather when engine is hot, during the winter I cannot hear the noise due to the cold.

Tends to happen when I do 10 miles plus in hot weather.

August, 6, 2012 AT 7:28 PM

Listen in between the engine and transmission-sounds like the release bearing/throw-out bearing failing -let me know

August, 6, 2012 AT 7:31 PM

It could be the hydraulic lifters and this seems to be oil related. What oil grade do you use?

DRANDLE

August, 6, 2012 AT 8:02 PM

Hi guys thanks for your quick answers, as I said just in hot weather. It has been like this for 2yrs, been to vw they cannot replicate the noise and couldn't narrow it down when I described it to them. I'm not entirely sure on the oil I use but it has been recently serviced. When I'm pushing down on the accelartor is makes a noise as well as if I pressed the clutch. When I press down on the clutch it enhances the tapping sound.

mhpautos

August, 10, 2012 AT 8:18 AM

I would also be thinking lifters, can you tell of the noise is at engine speed or slower, an oil change with an engine flush may help.

DRANDLE

August, 10, 2012 AT 9:29 AM

Once the engine has warmed up it is at both engine speed and slower. It bounces off walls when I'm stationary. The further I go from this point it seems to get louder. An oil change has already been done. Again thanks for your reply.

exovcds

August, 10, 2012 AT 4:34 PM

Search YouTube for "Dual mass flywheels rattle/noise" or "DMF rattle/noise". Could be that.

Thomas

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma