NOTICED A KNOCKING NOISE

2005 Toyota Highlander

jnboud

March, 12, 2012 AT 11:16 PM

I have a 2005 Toyota Highlander. A week ago Friday, on March 2, I got 4 new tires installed, had the oil and filter changed, and had the fluids and belts checked. Just yesterday (Sunday) I noticed a knocking noise which I think is coming from under the hood but not sure. When the engine is running, I don't hear the knocking when the car is stopped or when I accelerate. But when the car is moving and I take my foot off the gas pedal, I hear the knocking very distinctly. What are some possibilities that could be causing the knocking? Could the mechanics have done something to cause it?

rivermikerat

March, 12, 2012 AT 11:37 PM

There's no way of knowing without knowing for sure where the sound is originating. It could be loose front or rear suspension components, a loose transmission or motor mount, a bad U-joint on the driveshaft, worn shock/strut, engine problem, driven accessory (ps pump/alternator/etc) problem, etc.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front