Check engine light on, cruise flashing?

MEGANEHRHART
  • 2005 SUBARU FORESTER

I have a 2005 Subaru Forester 5 speed in seemingly great condition. I bought it in May and have had an exhaust leak so far. I drive 25 miles one way highway to and from work and frequently use my cruise control.

I've never had an issue with it until today, when I was cruising along in the fast lane, trying to pass a car and get back over to exit. The car decided to speed up while I was passing. In order to not miss my exit, I simply hit the clutch and brake ( without turning off the cruise) so as to slow down and get over. I've done this many times and have never had a problem. The cruise usually stays on, ready to re-initiate once I'm back to normal driving. This time, however, after I turned it off officially, the cruise light started blinking and the check engine light came on, much to my dismay.

I pulled off to a gas station and turned it off, thinking perhaps this would reset the glitch. This did not work. Only being five minutes from home, I decided to start her back up and get moving again with the intention of turning it off, pulling the key, and letting it sit for a while, hoping the key extraction would reset said glitch.

So I did. Again, it has not worked.

As I've browsed the Internet, looking for any quick answer, I noticed a whole thread within another forum of Subaru Forester owners saying this has happened multiple times, dealer repairs are not seeming to work, this doesn't throw a code, and that *sometimes* it goes back to normal after a week or so.

As I have recently moved to another city with a change of occupation, I dont have an exorbitant amount of money to spend for repairs.

I guess I want to know is what the problem is and how to fix it. Do you think a manual reset of the computer chip will work, or will it be something much more labor-intensive and costly?

Please and thank you very much for your help ahead of time.

-Mac

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 12:27 AM

ASEMASTER6371

What is the code for the light? We need this to further help you

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 12:56 AM
MEGANEHRHART

I don't have the code, as I am at home. Going by autozone tomorrow to get code.

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 1:52 AM
ASEMASTER6371

Get back to us with the code

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 1:53 AM