SUBARU FORESTER CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

• falmouth03
  • 1998 Subaru Forester
  • AWD
  • automatic

I have a '98 Subaru Forester that I love except for the Check Engine Light. Here in Maine to pass inspection the Check Engine light must be off. So each year I bring it in, the mechanic runs the scan and every time they can find nothing wrong, reset the codes, light goes off and I pass inspection. This little light cost me over $100 each time though because of this. I drive away and usually within 2-3 weeks light comes back on. It has been doing this for over 8 years. How do I A) disconnect this costly little light or B) get it checked without costing me $100+ each time. Thanks

Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 5:47 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Have the computer scanned at a nationally recognized parts store and ask them to reset it prior to inspection. Most do it for free. As far as turning it off, even if the light is on, their computer will detect that it should be on, so that won't work.

Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 5:49 PM
  • subarudoc

They should have givin you something saying what code it was or they don't have the proper scan tool for the car and are just clearing the code.$100 is a little high for just a computer scan I would try another shop. You can clear the code yourself by disconecting the negitve terminal on the battery for about a minute and reconect the terminal and restart if the light comes right back on they you have a hard fault, if it starts blinking then you have a misfire and if it stays of for like a couple days most likely its a evap code

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 3:15 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

That was very good advice. If you can get the code, let us know so we can futher direct you.

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 3:35 AM
  • falmouth03

Thanks all. The code that keeps popping up is P0440 - either loose gas cap or filler nozzle. The other code that keeps appearing is 0400. With this code the garage did put a new gas recriculation flow on device on two years ago, but still comes on. Both have been checked over the years and both are fine after inspection and then shop resets code to clear. I agree the $100 is high and thus the frustration. I will try to negative term. Any other suggestions? Again, thanks to all!

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 2:11 PM
  • subarudoc

I Am surprised they haven't changed the filler neck yet they always rot out. I would go to another shop sounds like they don't know subaru's or if your ever in New Hampshire

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 6:59 PM
  • falmouth03

Thanks Joe! What part of NH are you in?

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 7:26 PM
  • subarudoc

I am in Weare, NH

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 9:55 PM