2005 SATURN ION 3' MALFUNCTIONING DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION

• Jim Saad
  • 2005 Saturn Ion
  • automatic

We have a 2005 Saturn Ion 3 with about 130,000 KM (81,250 miles). The vehicle has the 2.2 echo tech engine with automatic transmission. Late last year when the service engine warning light came on the vehicle was stalling and when we tried to get the OBD II diagnostic tool to determine the code it showed no codes. The car was then seen by a mechanic and he could not get his diagnostic tool to determine the codes. He thought that it probably required a new valve job. We then insisted that he investigated further into the problem then he suggested it was caused by a faulty engine coil. Then, he replaced it with a used one he had in storage. It worked; however, he could not provide us with an explanation why the vehicle is not showing the codes when the diagnostic tool is used. Now the car is working well but the service engine warning light is on again and we cannot determine the codes when we use the diagnostic tool. We would appreciate very much if someone could advice us what the solution to this problem is. Thank you.

Jim

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 9:55 PM

• saturntech9

So when you read the codes what happens?Does it say no codes?Does the scan tool power up off the obd2 connector what happens?

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 10:05 PM
  • Jim Saad

When we connect the OBD II diagnostic tool to the vehicle the scan tool powers up off the OBD II connector ;however, it shows
00 as the code; ie, it is as if there is no problem with the vehicle.

Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 AT 4:28 PM
  • saturntech9

So did the light come on and stay on while driving the car?Also some code readers will only read the current not a history code. So if the key was turned off and then on it might not see the code.

Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 AT 6:53 PM
  • Jim Saad

The light came on and continued to stay on while driving the car. The key was not turned off and then on. Instead, the instructions of the scanning were followed exactly as in the instruction manual. As mentioned before, keep in mind that the scanning tool of the other mechanic also showed no codes.

Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 AT 7:00 PM
  • saturntech9

Then there must be a code in another computer other then the engine or transmission computer that the code readers you are using cant read. Probably 90 percent of those code readers and scan tools can only read generic obd2 engine and transmission codes.

Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 AT 9:16 PM
  • Jim Saad

Today we were able to buy a newer scanner which provided us with the codes P0030 and P0135. Based on this new information we would like to know what is the solution to our problem. Thank you.

Jim

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 10:07 PM
  • saturntech9

I wish just getting the codes was the answer to whats wrong with the car thats a starting point. The code P0030 is HO2s heater control circuit sensor 1 and the P0130 is HO2s circuit sensor 1. So it could be just a bad o2 sensor in the exhaust manifold or a problem with the wires terminals or computer. Does your new scan tool read live data?Also do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 3:57 PM
  • Jim Saad

Thank you for your prompt response. Our new scan tool (INNOVA 3100f) reads live data. When I reviewed this information which is now stored in the memory of the scan tool I noticed 26 items of information. We also have a multimetre. Let me what information you need. I am standing by. Thank you.

Jim

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 4:16 PM
  • saturntech9

I dont see where it shows it does live data in the description. Freeze frame data is different then actual live data. Freeze frame data is a snap shot pic of data that happened when the codes were set. Live data is right now watching the coolant temp sensor temp rise the o2 sweeping thru its different voltage etc. What was the o2 sensor 1 voltage readings when the codes were set?Also heres the info I found out about your scan tool. They sell a obd 2 code reader on amazon that reads live data for like 54.

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 4:35 PM
  • Jim Saad

My mistake. It shows freeze frame data at the time when the codes were obtained. We are in the process of removing the ex. Manifold shield to get access to the o2 sensor. I will tell you the voltage O2 sensor once we do that.

Friday, August 17th, 2012 AT 5:04 PM