ENGINE NOISE

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid

kimikim

July, 6, 2014 AT 12:07 PM

I have an engine noise on top of engine sounds like backfire/knocking noise I had engine codes p0300, p0301, p0302 when I disconnect coil pack number 2 the noise goes away

Jacobandnickolas

July, 6, 2014 AT 2:13 PM

The trouble codes you have are all relating to an engine misfire. My concern is that the sound goes away when you remove power to the #2 coil. Have you removed the spark plug to inspect it?

kimikim

July, 6, 2014 AT 2:28 PM

Yes I remove spark plugs I actually changed them all the ones in cylinder 1 and 2 had carbon deposits on them cylinder 3 and 4 were normal looking I don't know if you know this but theirs 2 spark plugs per cylinder

Jacobandnickolas

July, 6, 2014 AT 2:39 PM

Hi again: yes, I'm familiar with the design. Listen, if you clear the trouble codes, do the same ones come back? Also, have you checked compression in the #2 cylinder? I question a burnt valve.

kimikim

July, 6, 2014 AT 8:50 PM

I have not done compression check, I'm not sure on the procedure for compression check on hybrid, someone told me I need a special machine. Do you know if this is true?

Jacobandnickolas

July, 7, 2014 AT 7:25 PM

It's still an internal combustion engine. Here are directions.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element