WHAT MAKES THE VEHICLE WHINE WHEN STARTING THE CAR?

• gregmankus
  • 2005 GMC Envoy

My 2005 GMC Envoy makes a long whining noise every time I start it. It sounds much like an air plane and goes up in pitch then comes down. This lasts for about 60 seconds after starting then it's fine. Usuaally does this one time a day when first starting or if left for more than 3 hours without driving. Any suggestions? Everyything checks out fine, no check engine lights, oil is full and changed and gauges are all fine.
Any help would be appreciated!

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 10:55 PM

• hmac300

When was the last time the belt was checked? Spray water on it to see if it makes a difference. Normal replacement for belts and tensioners is 60,000 mi.

-1
Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 10:58 PM
  • gregmankus

Belt was changed at 65,000 miles with new water pump. When belt is off, whine still exists at start up.

-1
Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 11:05 PM
  • hmac300

This would really need an oinion of a pro who could hear it. You could check to make sure all your vacuum lines are ok and not soft or have holes in it. That is abot the only thingi can think of to cause a whine. If it does it with belt disconnected then that eliminates the alternator, a/c and a few other things. You could check your torque converter bolts to make sure they are tight. But really can't think of much.

-1
Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 11:13 PM
  • hmac300

Oh check your air ducts going to throttle pbody for holes as well as not being on right.

-1
Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 11:14 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

DON'T RECON THE STARTER TEETH ARE HANGING UP IN THE FLYWHEEL THAT LONG?

DOES THE PITCH CHANGE OR DOES IT GO AWAY IF YOU GIVE 'IM A LITTLE GAS. DOES IT SORTA GET NOISIER AND "HOLD BACK" IF IT'S THROTTLED?

-1
Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 12:24 AM
  • gregmankus

CJ.I dont understand your reply. Its only when the car is started. I have never given it gas or put in drive or reverse until the noise goes away (usually 30-60 seconds) goes up then down as if you unplugged a shop vac or similar. Gradually whines up. Holds then comes down and ends. I am unsure what you mean about the starter?

-1
Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 1:10 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

ROGER

I'LL TRY TO USE "KISS" METHOD THIS TIME

TURN KEY

GEAR ON STARTER SLINGS INTO FLYWHEEL TEETH--THEY MESH--SIMULTANEOUSLY THE STARTER TURNS

WHEN THE STARTER TURNS---THE FLYWHEEL (AND ENGINE) DOES TOO!

THE ENGINE CRANK UP/ BUSTS OFF/ RUNS. WHATEVER WE WANNA SAY!

. HERE IT IS!

YOU RELEASE THE KEY

THE "STARTER ACTION STOPS"--THE STARTER GEAR SPRINGS BACK OUT OF THE FLYWHEEL

. OR DOES IT?

MAYBE THE SPRING IS BROKE OR OTHER?

MAYBE THE GEAR STAYS IN THE FLYWHEEL? TILL IT MANUALLY WORKS IT'S WAY OUT OF THE MESH ON IT'S OWN. OR A SWITCH OR ELECTRICAL PROBLEM FINALLY TURNS IT LOOSE

MY "TEST" ABOVE WAS TO SEE IF MAYBE IT WOULD KICK OUT SOONER, OR IF YOU COULD FEEL IT STILL "DRAGGING DOWN" YOUR ENGINE

. IF THIS IS WHAT'S GOING ON. MAYBE SOMETHING DIFFERENT

ON A FORD OR JEEP, SOMETIMES THE SOLENOID ON THE FENDER WILL LOCK UP OR STICK INTERNALLY. THIS IS BASICALLY A HEAVY DUTY RELAY FOR THE STARTER (BUT NOW IT'S JUST LIKE THE STARTER IS DIRECTLY WIRED TO THE BATTERY. THE STARTER, IS "STARTING" NON-STOP. THE ENGINE IS NOW RUNNING. IT STRAINS TO RUN, WITH THE STARTER BEING ENGAGED (LOW GEARING, UNABLE TO ROTATE WELL WITH ENGINE RPM OVERWHELMING IT) UNTIL YOU TAKE THE BATTERY LOOSE AND INSTALL A NEW SOLENOID

THIS IS A BAD FEELING, IN THAT MOST OF THE TIME A WRENCH IS NOT HANDY, AND YOU ARE STILL FREAKING OUT, THAT THE 'WHINING' IS GOING ON--STARTER IS SCREAMING. TURNING THE KEY OFF DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO STOP IT

. IT MAY UN-STICK OR STOP ON IT'S OWN. BUT USUALLY DOES NOT

I HAVE PURCHASED BATTERY QUICK DISCONNECTS TO INSTALL ON MY VEHICLES. JUST FOR THAT VERY REASON. NO TOOLS NEEDED TO SHUT 'ER DOWN/ DOUBLES AS A DISCONNECT WHEN SERVICING ONE/ THEFT DETERRENT.I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN UP THE MOTIVATION TO INSTALL THEM YET!

THAT ANY BETTER?

Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 1:42 AM
  • gregmankus

CJ, Thank you for the speedy reply.
We ruled out the starter and any engine issues. When we started the vehicle then shut it off, stopping all starter and flywheel components, the whinning noise continued similar to shutting a shop vac or other similar appliance. The engine was toatlly off and the whinning continued to whine down like an airplane would. Does the envoy have a smog pump or electric vac motor that may cause this? This is the only idea we can think of after ruling out the other solutions? If the motor is off. It has to be some kind of vaccuum related issue? Any thoughts? Your help is appreciated!

-1
Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 3:12 PM
  • hmac300

If it's a 6 cyl it does if it's a V8 it doesn't it should be on upper right side of engine. That wil be the solenoid. It might be teh evap cannister purge solenoid which is on the lower left side of engine as well.

-1
Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 3:26 PM
  • gregmankus

Thank you. It is a 6 cylinder and whinning comes from drivers side. I guess we should try solenoid before evap cannister solenoid?
Your thoughts?
Thanks again

-1
Saturday, August 11th, 2012 AT 5:37 PM