WHEN I TURN THE LIGHT SWITCH OFF ON MY VAN THE ...

• joyous6
  • 2005 Ford Freestar

When I turn the light switch off on my van, the headlamps wont go off. I turn it to parking lights and normal lights it works fine. I cant turn off lights so I have to unplug battery bc it will drain my battery leaving it on.

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 11:48 PM

• cadieman

You will need to check the dimmer on the steering column. You'll need to unplug it and see if the lights go off.

Monday, December 17th, 2012 AT 11:54 PM
  • joyous6

Is there a fuse to pull? I turned the dimmer on and off. Just confused how dimmer has to do with my headlights? Are they on the same relay?

Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 AT 12:06 PM
  • cadieman

The power runs through the headlamps switch to the dimmer switch then out to the headlights. You said the lights are staying on but when you push it to parking it works correctly. So that means the lights go off and my right. If this is true you will need to remove the headlight switch and disconnect it to see if the lights go off. This problem would be in the headlight switch.

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 AT 1:17 AM
  • joyous6

Thank you! Now, do I get to the dimmer by pulling off the dimmer light plate? Which looks like ithe part is held in by a star shaped tool. Love the car lingo. Lol

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 AT 2:07 PM
  • cadieman

Do the lights turning off when headlight switch is in the parking light position? This is what you stated earlier. The dimmer switch is on the steering column. Remove the lower panel. When you move the dimmer switch back and forth you'll see a linkage that moves with it going to a switch on the left side of the steering column.

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 AT 11:25 PM