HOW DO I TELL IF I HAVE A BAD SOLENOID OR SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS?

2005 Ford Focus

Jayrandall

July, 23, 2012 AT 10:38 PM

I have a 2005 ford focus, 4 speed atx. My transmission seems like it is stuck in either 2nd or 3rd gear. It won't shift in reverse, in drive, it has little to no power(as if in a higher gear), and even in neutral, the car will only roll forward. The car has 169k miles, atx fluid is extremely dirty. Before this happened, the car was struggling engaging into first, but all other gears worked fine. Could the problem be a solenoid or is it probably something more serious requiring a new or rebuilt tranny?

saturntech9

July, 23, 2012 AT 10:41 PM

Do you have any codes in the computer?

Jayrandall

July, 23, 2012 AT 10:42 PM

I don't have current access to a code reader, but no warning lights are showing on my dash console.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 1:08 AM

I would still check it for codes even though the lights not on. Code readers are cheap these days on amazon you can get one for like 20 and one that reads some live data for 50 something.

Jayrandall

July, 24, 2012 AT 1:14 AM

I did get a warning light. It was just prior to the current issue. Before the tranny went completely bad, it was just having a hard time engaging first gear. If the RPMs were too high and/or the shift into first was rough, the o/d off light would flash orange. Normally when o/d is turned off, it's a green light, not orange.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 1:21 AM

Alright theres even more reason to get me the exact code numbers not code descriptions?

Jayrandall

July, 24, 2012 AT 1:25 AM

I called two separate tranny places today, described the situation and both said my transmission is like shot.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 1:30 AM

Thats amazing over the phone transmission diagnoses I would never go out on a limb and say that.

Jayrandall

July, 24, 2012 AT 1:38 AM

I knew I needed a fluid flush before this happened, but I was waiting until payday to do it. The difficulty with first gear is what initially told me it was a solenoid. The reason the tranny places says its an internal issue is because it won't engage reverse. I won't have access to a code reader until Thursday. If it were drivable, it'd be sooner.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 1:59 AM

I have never seen a fluid flush fix any transmission problems I have seen it cause them or make a problem occur faster also. Just because it has no reverse doesnt mean its a failed transmission.I have seen low pressure in the transmission cause no reverse and was fixed without removing the transmission.

Jayrandall

July, 24, 2012 AT 2:06 AM

Is low pressure a more likely cause of no reverse than a bad solenoid?

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma