2005 Ford F-350 Steering

RON123ABC
  • 2005 FORD F-350
  • TURBO
Sometimes when I turn at a intersection my steering will stick and I have to force it to turn and at times I will be driving down the highway and it will stick and when I turn it back it will jerk back and when I try to correct that it will jerk back the other direction it will keep doing this until I pull over and stop and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and to the left then take back off and it seems do do fine then. I have had the hydro boost, gear box and the ps pump replaced and still have this problem
Tuesday, October 27th, 2015 AT 7:33 PM

From your description it kind of sounds like lack of lube in a way on steering components. Also when was last time belt and tensioner was replaced? It may have oil on it slipping occasionally on high loads. Or it has air in system. After pump replacement was it bled for air? Make sure reservoir is full, jack truck up with wheels off of floor then do a turn to turn 10 times recheck fluid. That is the only thing I can think of unless there is a bind someplace causing your problem.
Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 AT 6:57 AM
RON123ABC
OK I will check the lub and I have bled it by turning back and forth. Do I need to leave resevior cap off or on I have tried it both ways I get bubbles when I take the cap off but when I leave it off I don't see any and also I'm getting more bubbles when I pump the break than I do when I turn the steering wheel back and forth
Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 AT 7:27 AM
RON123ABC
Also to add it does it someday and some days it dont
Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 AT 7:28 AM
That sounds like air in system do this while running engine with wheels off ground also hit brakes twice. Leave cap on. Check prior and after doing this.
Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 AT 7:36 AM
RON123ABC
OK thanks
Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 AT 7:51 AM
RON123ABC
Got the air out the system. Drove it to work this morning and I drve about 5 miles and made a left turn the steering stuck had to pull over turn the wheels back and forth till it got easy to turn the I headed on to work I noticed it was pulling to the right went about 15 miles and when I turned left into work parking lot it stuck again I parked and turned the wheel left and right a few times till it was free again
Friday, October 30th, 2015 AT 5:09 AM
I really don't know what to say on this I have gone over tsb's prior to answering your question only thing I can say is to have a pro look for binding or maybe scan for codes see if something comes up on it. If it is the original gear box i'd have to say something with the hydraulic valve in it but not really sure. The only thing I can suggest now is to check the items in the pic as well as mesh preload which whoever rebuilt this will know what that is. If it still doesn't cure it replace the box. Unless it was replaced when it was rebuilt as it may be one of the items in pic causing the problem.
Friday, October 30th, 2015 AT 6:41 AM