POWERSTROKE POWER STEERING PROBLEM

2000 Ford F-350

j.stieg

September, 11, 2012 AT 9:28 PM

Working on a 00 powerstroke and the power steering and brake pedal is hard to move.

A pump was recently put on but no change.
Also regular PS fluid was drained and replaced with ATF fluid

Please advise on troubleshooting problem. Thanks

hmac300

September, 11, 2012 AT 10:29 PM

Get rid of the atf first. Check the hydra vac as it may not be giving the power to both the brake and steering. The pump pumps there first then to the steering.

j.stieg

September, 11, 2012 AT 10:34 PM

What is the "hydra vac"? Never heard of it.

hmac300

September, 11, 2012 AT 11:15 PM

It's your brake booster the hydraulic unit behind the master cylinder. It may be bad

j.stieg

September, 12, 2012 AT 7:55 AM

It very well could be. I think there is a total of three lines at power steering pump & reservoir. There does not seem to be any return to the reservoir so there could be blockage somewhere.

Just trying to sort these hoses out, the one going to the plastic nipple on reservoir should be return. Looks like a steel pressure on the side of pump, and there is one on the bottom don't know what it is, maybe another return?

j.stieg

September, 12, 2012 AT 8:03 AM

I meant to say there isn't any fluid flow returning to reservoir. In first paragraph of last post.

Anyway I will check the brake booster out. I'm open to any troubleshooting techniques.

September, 12, 2012 AT 11:04 AM

Common for dirt to make this happen. Flush the system out very well and use the correct fluid.

When was the last time you changed the power steering fluid?

Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200