2005 Ford Escape misfire codes P0351, P0352, P0353

TUL574
  • 2005 FORD ESCAPE
V6 3.0L driving up small grade when cyl. 5 blew spark plug out off head. MIL light Illuminated than began flashing. Drove approx. 1 1/2 - 2 miles to get off road while exiting road engine quit. Wouldn't restart. Found plug laying on top of engine with coil attached. Installed thread insert installed new plug and coil. After removing batt grd. Connection and reconnecting engine restarted but ran poorly showing codes P0351 thru P0353 still. So I replace plugs 1 Thru 3 took COP off of 4, 5, 6 and swapped them with 1, 2, 3 put back together ran did not drive for several minutes still have MIL light after clearing all old codes have MIL codes P0351, P0352.P0353 with addition of P0355
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 7:34 AM

Is the engine running properly? Was any damage done to the wiring harness when the plug shot out?
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 8:09 AM
TUL574
There is no obvious damage too any wiring component. Engine runs very rough and doesn't idle.
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 8:39 AM
You know, I have been thinking about this all day. Like you, I don't understand why you are getting misfires on all those cylinders. You have checked coils, plugs. And all is good. I'm starting to think the PCM may have been damaged by not having the plug grounded.

I need to check on a few things. Don't think I forgot about you. I am also going to speak with the owner of this site to get his input.

+1
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 4:20 PM
TUL574
Thank you for looking into this. I wont be able to work on this Friday. I intend Saturday too do a compression test. Don't really think it will show me anything but might as well do it. PCM are quite expensive and I like eliminate any other possible causes. Are any of the services that repair your PCM reputable
+1
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 5:32 PM
KEN
Is the engine losing coolant? I'm wondering why the plug shot out of the threads in the first place? Was the spark plug cross threaded or left loose? Could coolant of entered the combustion chamber and forced the plug out.

A combustion test is the next step, good call and that one. :-) Please let us know, we enjoy helping people.
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 6:40 PM
TUL574
No sign of coolant in cylinder that particular plug and coil was replaced several thousand miles ago, because off a failed COP. Maybe plug was cross threaded, don't know for sure, or brought some threads out with when change then just a guess don't know. Will get back with you after compression test. Wasn't losing coolant either.
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 8:40 PM
KEN
We look forward to your information :-)
Friday, November 22nd, 2013 AT 11:55 AM
TUL574
Compression 130 through 165psi my compression gauge was giving problems but worked well enough to show that I probably don't have dead cylinder. What should a motor with 100,000 miles be anyway. Just had it hauled to a shop hear where they can hook it up too there analyzer. Thanks for listening too my woe. I'm thinking running with ungrounded coil might of damaged PCM just a guess
Monday, November 25th, 2013 AT 12:21 PM
KEN
When you pull the plug, is it wet with fuel? Also have you checked the fuel injector signal pulse.
Monday, November 25th, 2013 AT 3:27 PM
TUL574
I gave up took the car too a shop they redone every thing I did then told me I have a bad PCM. I want to thank you for your help. I sure hope the PCM does it
Wednesday, November 27th, 2013 AT 7:13 AM
KEN
I think you might have been right, when the coil blew out of the head, it could have damaged the computer. Please let us know if the new computer fixes it.
+1
Wednesday, November 27th, 2013 AT 10:46 AM