IS THIS A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2005 Ford Escape

Hope

June, 1, 2011 AT 12:40 AM

I have a 2005 Ford Escape XLS FWD, 4-speed automatic O/D transmission it starts up just fine but after I pull the gear shift into drive mode. The vehicle shuts off

June, 1, 2011 AT 2:49 AM

This is all I can offer, and I hope it is this simple!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2005-ford-escape-rough-idle-at-low-rpm

Let me know if just cleaning it, improved it

Other than that----don't fret, others are good about jumping in to help out!

Your Turn

The Medic

gizmoguy

June, 1, 2011 AT 4:04 AM

One time I had an '88 Dodge Dynasty LE that was equipped with a lock-up torque converter. That was a feature designed to eliminate torque converter slippage when driving down the highway. But the lock-up controls had a problem, so it was locked up all the time. The result was, when you put the transmission in gear, it would immediately stall the engine because the torque converter could no longer slip enough to keep the engine running while the vehicle was stopped. The symptoms sound pretty similar to me! There is probably a relay you can pull out, to disable torque converter lock-up, if that is your problem! A defective torque converter (failed in such a way that it will not slip) will cause identical symptoms.

June, 1, 2011 AT 5:08 AM

No Worry, many times the other guys jump in and give other possibilities too!

Had same issue w/ Ex-Girlfriends '82 Mustang 200 CID (Straight 6 w/Carb)

You could increase the RPMs, and yank it into "D". It would lurch forward. Instant die. Like dumping the clutch on my Jeep.

I jacked up the Rear (drive wheels) and tried it (w/ higher RPMs), it would GRAB and rotate the wheels at 1: 1 ratio with the engine. In my Jeep, that would be IMMEDIATE 3rd gear.I'm sure that's the same as an automatic. Replaced it w/ a non-locking converter

Is yours doing the "Mega Jerk Thing" when pulled into drive?

If you can get it moving, if you come to a stop. Even a good ways before a stop, does it start Jerking real bad when RPMs get down to. Lets say 600 on down. Or will it idle in gear?

Reckon you tried the other gears?

Will your/ was it designed to start in NEUTRAL, as in other automatics. If it does, what about catching something other than reverse or drive?

I ain't no tranny man, by any means---Just attempting to see if it acts like a lock-up or is it more like the IAC not able to react instantly to keep idle constant 'cause it's maybe carbon-ed up (it's EZ to remove, and clean) Have you tried?

The Medic

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda
Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement