The right answer is it's a known problem and a PCM reflash is supposed to fix it. Did you get this done? Here's the bulletin:
FLASH - ROUGH OR SHUDDER ON 1 -2 UPSHIFT
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 21-001-06, Date of Issue: January 14, 2006
Related Ref Number(s): 21-001-06
Flash - Rough or Shudder On 1-2 Upshift
This bulletin involves verifying the 2-4 clutch volume index is over 20 and if necessary selectively
erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software and
performing a TCM Quicklearn.
Vehicle may exhibit roughness or shudder on a 1-2 upshift.
Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII(R)) with the appropriate diagnostic procedures available on
TechCONNECT, verify all transmission systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present,
record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the Symptom/Condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
Press Ctrl+F to find exact text
CHRYSLER:2005 (PL) Neon
THE DRBIII(R) FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN ARE AVAILABLE ON
FOR MARKETS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE
FLASH FILES AND REPROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE
AVAILABLE ON ITIL/ISIS DVD MARCH, 2006.
This bulletin applies to all 2005 PL vehicles equipped with a 2.0L
engine (sales code ECB) and a automatic transmission (sales code
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
SPECIAL TOOLS DESCRIPTION
1. Using the DRBIII(R) read the transmission sensor 2-4 CL Vol Index value. Is the index value
20 or below?
? Yes, proceed to Step #2.
? No, this bulletin does not apply.
2. Before beginning the reprogramming procedure, remove any old flash reprogramming files
from the DRBIII(R) memory. To clear the memory from the MAIN MENU:
a. Simultaneously press the "MORE" and "YES" keys.
B. A screen will appear requesting a "COLD BOOT".
C. Follow the on screen instructions by selecting the "F4" key.
D. When the DRB III(R) reboots to the MAIN MENU, proceed to Step #3
3. With the ignition switch in the "RUN" position, determine the original part number of the PCM
currently in the vehicle. Using the DRBIII(R) select:
a. "DRBIII(R) Standalone"
b. "1998-2005 Diagnostics"
c. "All (Except Below)"
e. "Module Display"
f. Record the "PCM part #" on the repair order for later reference.
Label, Authorized Modification
General Purpose Interface Bus Cable Assembly
Scan Tool (DRBIII(R))
J1962 Cable with red DRBIII(R) connector
An updated J1962 cable has been released. This cable has a red
colored connector at the DRBIII(R) connection. Use this cable
whenever a flash is being performed.
Whenever a controller is programmed, the software in the DRBIII
(R); must be programmed with the latest revision level available.
If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be
restarted and then follow the directions on the DRBIII(R).
4. Connect the DRBIII(R) to TechCONNECT. Open TechTOOLS and verify that the "DRBIII(R)
Status: Connected" message is in the upper right corner of the TechTOOLS screen.
5. Enter the "PCM part #" recorded in Step #3 in the "Parts Criteria" area and select "Show
Updates". TechTOOLS will populate the appropriate calibration.
6. Select the calibration.
7. Select the "DRBIII" radio button which is next to the "Download/Update" button.
8. Select the "Download/Update" button.
9. Monitor the "Flash Download/Update Progress" window on the TechCONNECT and follow
the instructions on TechCONNECT. When the flash process is complete, proceed to Step #10.
10. Disconnect the DRBIII(R) from TechCONNECT.
11. Open the hood, install a battery charger and verify that charging rate provides approximately
12. Connect the DRBIII(R) to the vehicle.
13. Download the flash from the DRBIII(R) to the vehicle. Using the DRBIII(R) select:
a. "Vehicle Flash"
b. Follow the directions on the DRBIII(R) screen. When the flash process is complete,
proceed to Step #14.
14. Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Modification Label" p/n 04275086AB and
attach near the VECI label (Fig. 1).
15. Using the DRBIII(R) perform the TCM Quicklearn procedure.
Fig. 1: Authorized Modification Label
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Due to the PCM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in
other modules (TCM, BCM, MIC, SKIM, etc.) Within the vehicle, if
so equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. Check
all modules using "Module Scan", record the DTC's, and erase
these DTC's prior to returning the vehicle to the customer. Erase
any DTC's in the PCM only after all other modules have had their
The following step is required by law.
Labor Operation No:
Reprogram Powertrain Control Module and perform
Saturday, March 12th, 2011 AT 2:04 PM