MY NEON CHK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON WHILE DRIVG AND...

• mattcannon
  • 2005 Dodge Neon

My neon chk engine light came on while drivg and my car died. Now when I try to start it, it sounds like my starter spins without it engaging the flywheel. What could it be?

Friday, February 8th, 2013 AT 4:03 PM

• racefan966

What engine do you have? I could be a timing belt but need to know what engine to see if you have a belt or chain. It could be a bad starter that is spinning but not engaging.

Friday, February 8th, 2013 AT 4:06 PM
  • mattcannon

My motor is a 2.0

Friday, February 8th, 2013 AT 4:23 PM
  • racefan966

Ok have you figured out weather or not the starter is engaging or not? What I would recomend is removing the access plug on the front of the timing cover and have some one crank it and see if the cam sprocket is moving. If not broken timing belt. Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 AT 3:55 PM
  • mattcannon

Sorry for the delay, I appreciate your help, and you was right, it was the timing belt. I figured it out later that day, I seen the starter engaging, so I wantd to see the timing belt move and it wasn't, I found the plug on the cover. Thanks again and have a good wknd

Friday, March 1st, 2013 AT 2:06 PM
  • racefan966

Thanks for the follow up. You are quite welcome and if you need any more help please just ask. Steve

Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 AT 3:48 PM