2005 Chrysler T&C, 3.8L, Crankshaft Position Sensor Location

JE3.8T&C
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

I have my van opened up right now and having a hard time locating the crankshaft position sensor to replace it. Possibly have any photos or diagrams to help? Or GPS directions.L

Saturday, September 10th, 2011 AT 2:37 PM

It is located on the transmission bell housing below the exhaust cross over pipe. I looked for a picture and couldn't find one. I hope this helps.

+1
Saturday, September 10th, 2011 AT 5:41 PM
JE3.8T&C

Thanks for the information. I did some intensive searching with my digital camera and found it tucked in that uncomfortable position under the exhaust.

I am trying to solve a mystery though. It continues to smell like it is flooded after several seconds of trying to start. On occasion it will start right up, but mostly it winds several times before starting.

I have changed the o2 sensors, the EGR, the Crank shaft sensor, put in new spark plugs and still no reslove. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Saturday, September 10th, 2011 AT 10:29 PM

If you are sure it is flooding, check the temp sensor. This sensor tells the computer how rich or lean to make the fuel mixture based on ambient temp and coolant temp. If it is telling the computer it is -40 degrees, the computer will tell the injectors to dump fuel to the engine.

By the way, isn't the crank sensor fun to get to (lol).

+1
Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 4:51 AM
JE3.8T&C

I didn't know my arm could bend in so many directions. I decided to take out the battery and swung the battery tray toward the hood so that I had more elbow room.

I will look into the temp sensor. Each time you start the engine and it has to "wind" up before starting, immediately after it smells like excess gasoline. When I was under the hood yesterday, I took the air filter box off so I could find the Cam Shaft Sensor and the same odor drifted out of the air intake.

Thanks for your help. Cannot tell you how much it is appreciated. I bought this van thinking it was a good deal, but I have ended up with a lot of work instead. Hopefully as I knock each one off, it will become a better vehicle!

Jeff

+2
Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 1:45 PM

Jeff,
I'm glad to help. Don't worry. You'll get it fixed. Then you'll know that you have a good vehicle. Let me know if you have other questions. Thats why we're here.

+1
Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 4:09 PM
JE3.8T&C

I do have one major issue I am trying to solve. I realize that it could be several different things. Ideas are helpful though.

We have always had a fill up issue. We can only put about 1 to 1-1/2 gallons of fuel at a time before the neck fills up and shuts off the pump. It seems to be getting worse. It has been mentioned that there is a "burp" valve on the burp tube up next to the top of the filler neck. They said that if I can get to that and clean it out with carb cleaner that it should be okay then.

I have read online where there is a splash back issue with these vans and other related Chryslers. Have you heard of this and any common fixes?

Thanks Again for your time.

Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 5:17 PM

Honestly, there is a vent tube that runs from the tank along side of the filler tube (under vehicle). They are mostly steel, but they have a rubber hose that attaches the steel to the tank. If that pluggs or gets damaged, air can't escape from the tank when you feel it. As a result, the gas can't enter and comes back out shutting the pump. WHAT A PAIN. It most likely takes you 20 minutes to get 5 gallons of gas. That vent is most likely where the problem is. I don't know that carb cleaner will clean it, but it is worth a try.

Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 5:25 PM
JE3.8T&C

Thanks again! I think that I will take a look at the fuel neck and hope there is a vent on that tube. Look for any blockage on that vent line and try to clean it out.

I really appreciate your input and will let you know what I find.

Enjoy the day!

Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 6:18 PM
JE3.8T&C

Just thought I would let you know that I have changed the Air temp sensor and the cam shaft sensor. Neither one worked on the engine starting issue.

I have talked with a friend that works for Dodge. His mechanic thinks it may be a valve in the tank or the vapor canister solenoid. I am taking it to them the Saturday after this. Hopefully I will be able to continue to get gas into it until then.

I changed the shocks last night and a new sound (rattle) is coming from the back right side as I drive. I lifted the rear passenger side wheel well by hand and could hear a rattle also. Not sure what It is. If you have ideas or thoughts, would appreciate it.

I am guessing a loose bolt to the springs or a cross member? Maybe a bushing?

Thanks. I'll let you know what the guys find out next weekend.

Friday, September 16th, 2011 AT 1:25 PM

Let me know.

Saturday, September 17th, 2011 AT 2:54 AM
JE3.8T&C

Update
Had the van in to Chrysler. The tank was dropped down and discovered that someone had previously broken the plastic tube leading out of the vacuum pump and tried to cover it by gluing this piece back together. Very possibly happened about 4 months ago when another dealership changed out the fuel pump. I will have to replace the fuel tank.

Still having a start up issue that seems to be an overage of fuel coming into the engine before it will ignite and start the engine. Changed the spark plugs to Champion double platinum's, but still no change. Getting new spark plug wires next week.

I am running out of ideas for this issue.

My terrible clanging noise was the front bushing on the passenger leaf spring. Don't know if it was loose or not, but was told about how they need to be torqued to around 65 lbs.

Any thoughts about the start up issue would be appreciated. Thanks for your help and ideas over the past few weeks!

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 2:17 AM

If you smell unburned gas, check the fuel pump pressure and regulator. It may be forcing too much fuel.

Monday, September 26th, 2011 AT 2:55 AM
JE3.8T&C

From what I can tell, I assume that the fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump or at least in the fuel tank. Is that correct?

I placed the new spark plug wires onto the van and it started like a charm for 3 to 4 times and then it went back to its old game of cranking before ignition. Any thoughts?

Hope things are going well for you.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 AT 9:57 PM

You are right about the fuel pressure regulator. It's in the tank. As far as the starting, for the heck of it, pull one of the new plugs out and let me know its condition. Is it wet, black?

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 12:28 AM
JE3.8T&C

I took out the middle piston spark plug in the back of the engine (#3? Cylinder) and it appeared to have an oil around the threads, but the end of the spark plug appears okay to me. I included pictures of this spark plug and a pic of the head.

I also took out the front middle spark plug (#4? Cylinder) for a comparison. It appeared dry and clean. I included pictures of it and the head again for comparison.

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 3:16 AM

The plugs look good. I can't remember if you already checked fuel pump pressure. Let me know.

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 3:34 AM
JE3.8T&C

I have not checked the fuel pump pressure (of course, I don't have that equipment or knowledge as of yet). Although, the local dealer replaced the fuel pump just around 5-6 months ago.

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 3:41 AM

You know, I would like you to do it. It isn't hard. Go to our homepage under the DIY section. There are directions and a video showing how to check both the pump and regulator. All you need is a fuel pressure gauge. Most parts stores will lend them to you with hopes of selling you a new pump.

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 4:11 AM
JE3.8T&C

I will look into this and get back to you soon. Once again, your help and time is appreciated.

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 11:53 AM

Thanks.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 4:33 PM

Related Crankshaft Crankshaft Position Sensor CKS Location Questions

Recommended articles