SHOULD I PUT MONEY OUT?

2005 Chrysler Sebring

Sarahackerman

July, 14, 2013 AT 3:01 PM

I am looking for my first car. I have found the 05 Chrysler Sebring with 140,000 and their asking 3,200. I like this car, but I'm not sure about the miles and I don't want to have it break down within 6 months. Should I buy this and is it worth it. Are Chrysler Sebring reliable? Thank you

caradiodoc

July, 14, 2013 AT 4:51 PM

Just about any car is going to break down and you'll need to be ready, but in general I don't pay much attention to mileage. My daily driver '88 Dodge Grand Caravan has over 402,000 miles, runs fine, but it is so rusted that it's about to fall apart, thanks to road salt. That proves mileage isn't as important as it was 20 or 30 years ago.

Chrysler has built a lot of really tough, reliable engines. The 2.7L is not one of them. If the car you're looking at has that engine, I'd look for something else. Mainly I would never want a small front-wheel-drive Ford or any GM product, but everyone has their opinions.

As for the dollars, I don't keep up with that either but it seems like you could use the mileage as a bargaining point to get a better price. If you're buying this from a used car dealer, they always have some negotiating room built in to their asking price. Also check back often to see which cars have been sitting on the lot for a while. They are usually the less popular models and dealers are getting antsy to move them. They'll deal better on those cars.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue