REPLACING CONTROL ARM BUSHING ON

2004 Toyota Sienna

what-the-heck

April, 7, 2011 AT 2:01 AM

I have been told by the local Toyota dealership that the left front control arm bushing needs to be replaced in my 2004 Toyota Sienna. They say that the bushing has corroded some. They said they noticed the problem when test driving it and pressing down on the brakes. They are saying that the engine and transmission has to be removed for them to replace the control arm bushing and the quote of $1600 includes the part and labor of 15 hours. Do they have to remove the engine and transmission to replace this part. Is this an honest cost estimate?

I'm worried that I'll have more problems with the engine and transmission because they have been removed and put back into the van. The van has close to 165,000 miles on it. My biggest worry though is what will happen while driving if I don't get this replaced. What are the risks of not getting this fixed?

Thanks,
Paul

mmprince4000

April, 7, 2011 AT 11:56 AM

According to Mitchell (an independant repair guide) the engine and transaxle must be removed to remove control arm.

I would get a second opinion, to see if control arm bushing is bad.
If bad, it could not be aligned because of play in bushing.

what-the-heck

April, 7, 2011 AT 12:43 PM

Thanks for your response. So there could be alignment issues because of the bad bushing. I can understand that. My bigger concern is if I'm driving at 70mph on the highway and the bushing completely breaks, what would happen to the car? Is there a chance of this causing my car to wreck and endanger my family?

Thanks again!

mmprince4000

April, 9, 2011 AT 2:30 PM

It is POSSIBLE, especially at high speed. Lower control arm bushing failure would cause the toe aligment to suddenly change.

It is just unusual for a bushing on a Toyota to go bad so soon, possible but rare.

I would get a second opinion and if confirmed, get it repaired ASAP.

Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy
Upper Control Arm Replacement