2004 Saturn Vue Shudder at 35-50 mph

KORNAJ20
  • 2004 SATURN VUE
  • AWD
When I hit between 35-50 mph my Vue shudders. It goes into gear fine and seems to shift normally. At the 35-50 mph speed range it sometimes vibrates intensely from the shudder. Is the bad torque converter likely the cause for this problem? If not, is there something else you would know of that causes this?

thanks
Wednesday, December 24th, 2014 AT 8:54 PM

SATURNTECH9
Are there any codes in the computer? Also what color is the transmission fluid and does the transmission fluid smell burned? Has the transmission fluid been changed regulary when it should be changed?Could be a torque convertor or a bad clutch pack inside the transmission or even a bad transmission solenoid.
Thursday, December 25th, 2014 AT 7:09 AM
KORNAJ20
There are no check engine lights that come on. The color of the transmission fluid is brown and it does not smell. I don't know if the fluid has ever been flushed. The carfax gave no indication if it was done or not. Would a bad torque converter be the most likely issue?
Monday, December 29th, 2014 AT 8:58 PM
SATURNTECH9
If the fluid has never been changed the transmission could be bad have seen that happen from that kind of abuse. Cant say if the torque convertor is bad from the information I have so far. Just because the check engine light isn't on doesnt mean you dont have codes. Also not all diyer scan tools will read transmission codes or all the computers and codes in the car. The starting point for me is if there are codes. Shuddering like that could be a solenoid bad clutches etc. If its only in a certain gear it could be bad clutches in the gear.
Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 AT 12:39 PM
KORNAJ20
Another thing I noticed is when I am traveling steady at about 35 mph, the rpms are in constant flux between 1400 and 1500. Is this a related symptom to any the bad clutch or solenoid? What is the best way to get a code if there are no lights showing?
Sunday, January 4th, 2015 AT 7:55 PM
SATURNTECH9
Its possible it could be a symptom of a slipping clutch pack or a number of other things. I would have it scanned with a professional scan tool not a diyer scan tool and see what it shows. Also what color is the fluid and what does it smell like?
Monday, January 5th, 2015 AT 7:22 PM
KORNAJ20
Do I have to go to a GM dealer to get a professional scan done? The fluid is brown and smells like normal transmission fluid.
Friday, January 9th, 2015 AT 8:35 PM
SATURNTECH9
The transmission fluid should be red not brown sounds like its been a long time since its been changed.A independent shop should have a professional scan tool that can read all the codes.
Friday, January 9th, 2015 AT 9:22 PM