DO I NEED TO REPLACE MY FUEL PUMP IF I HAVE A GAS LEAK NEAR MY GAS TANK?

• nanjo
  • 2004 Saturn Vue

Recently my car started to smell of gasoline while driving and after it was parked. The mechanic at the service station checked it for me and showed me where it was leaking from which was near the gas tank. He explained that my fuel pump was probably fine but that on saturns it had to be replaced as a unit. He quoted me 650. For the pump and 425. For labor. Can't I just get the fuel lines replaced instead or somehow repair the leak. Thank you in advance for any advice you could give.

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 11:32 PM

• saturntech9

It really depends on where its leaking there is two fuel pumps on that vue a venturi pump and a electric one.I need more info on whats leaking?Do you have the 4cyl or 6cyl engine?

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 11:44 PM
  • saturntech9

Also is it all wheel drive and what is your zip code?

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 11:45 PM
  • nanjo

It's a 6 cylinder 3.5 engine. 2 wheel drive. The area under the car that he showed was leaking wasn't the gas tank but a plastic container near it. My zip is 92262.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 12:50 AM
  • saturntech9

Wow you live in palm springs thats not too far from me I used to work at the saturn dealer in catherdral city on perez road. The only thing I can think of back by the tank and then can be called a box would be the charcoal canister which only has fuel vapors going to it not liquid fuel. For a fuel pump replacement in your area I have 339-630 for the fuel pump depending on where you get it. Also the labor should be 180-230 so there labor is way high also the fuel pump itself price is high.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 1:12 AM
  • nanjo

Hi again. You know I probably should have said that its a girlfriends
car so when she told me about the gas smell I told her to get it checked. So I wasn't there today when he [showed] her where the leak was. When she told me what was said I was as perplexed as you probably are. It just seems to me that if there is a leak somewhere but the fuel pump is o.K. Couldn't it be repaired directly? What other components of the car could leak fuel? Thanks.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 1:57 AM
  • saturntech9

There is what is called the fuel pump module that holds the fuel sending unit fuel pump fuel pick that goes into the top of the fuel tank it also has hard plastic fuel lines molded onto the top of it that arent replaceable. If one of those lines leaks the whole assembly has to be replaced.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 3:44 PM
  • nanjo

[hi neighbor!] Well that tells me what I needed to know. The mechanic was right after all, although his price quotes were out in orbit! You helped me a lot. Thanks so much.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 6:20 PM
  • saturntech9

Yeah I could do it for way less then 1,075.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 7:06 PM
  • saturntech9

If you still need that fuel leak fixed or anything else on your vue please let me know.

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 11:47 PM