Air compressor bypass

CPARSON
  • 2004 SATURN VUE
Can I bypass the air compressor with a different belt?
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 2:50 AM

FIXITMR
Why are you doing it? To save gas? Or is compressor noisy/shot? Here is diagram. Might work if you can get the length right. Assuming compressor is wheel in lower right of diagram.
-1
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:15 AM
CPARSON
It is a six cylinder. The compressor is shot and yes the compressor is on lower right. We cannot afford another one at this point and wanted to get through cool season without it.
+2
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 2:48 PM
SATURNTECH9
I do not see a belt listed without A/C and I have not seen a 2004 V6 Vue without A/C before. So the outer part of the A/C clutch does not spin freely?
+2
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:06 PM
CPARSON
The outer wheel does spin but it wobbles some and as I spin it by hand, debris comes out. Even with the A/C off, it was making grinding noises and I could smell metal on metal. The serpentine belt broke just as we made it home last night. Without the belt, there is no grinding noise.
+1
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 5:39 PM
SATURNTECH9
It sounds like your outer bearing on your A/C clutch is shot that is what spins when the a/C is not on. Does the center of your A/C clutch move freely without a lot of force? I cannot find a bypass pulley for that Vue ethier. Or an A/C clutch separate from the compressor. You may have to just find a used compressor just to bolt up to route the belt around it so you can drive it.
-1
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 6:45 PM
CPARSON
I tried a 43" belt (normally 46")to bypass but the belt rubs against itself on the return route. Going to try a 42". The center of the clutch does not move at all. With replacing the compressor, I do not have the knowledge to discharge/charge the system after replacement.
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 8:03 PM
SATURNTECH9
The compressor sound's like it has all frozen up as far as discharge you would have to take it somewhere to have it discharged. I was suggesting worse case that you could just put a used compressor on there so you could run the belt around the pulley's otherwise if you wanted to get the a/C working again you would have to replace the drier flush the system etc have it charged. You can try shorter belt's but like I said I have never seen a 2004 V6 Vue without A/C so your probably not going to find the right size belt or get it to route correctly. If you do then let us know what size and belt number you found so other user's can do this as well.
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 8:21 PM
CPARSON
A belt with code 5060423 worked. I believe that the original 43" belt tried was actually 43.75" (5060436) and too long.
+3
Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 AT 11:56 PM
SATURNTECH9
Thank you for the information other user's will find that helpful. Also, glad to hear you found a belt that worked and are on the road again. What brand of belt is that the number for it look's like a gates number?
Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 6:32 PM
CPARSON
It was Dayco Poly Cog 5060423.
Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 9:17 PM
PHARAOH_ZR

I currently have nearly the exact situation and I was wondering if the belt hit the tension-er as it is extremely close or if you have had any issues since doing this bypass.

I was also wondering if you meant the Dayco Poly Rib instead of Poly Cog. I cannot seem to find that model belt in poly cog format.

Thank you for any help.

-Steve
+2
Monday, June 16th, 2014 AT 10:04 AM
PHARAOH_ZR
Well,

I just had the shorter belt installed (key note it is poly rib not poly cog) and it worked. The clearance is small but enough to keep everything running smoothly. Just thought I would leave this for others.

-Steve
+3
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 6:58 PM
ENEBASCO
Steve, did you go with the 5060423 or a shorter one? How much life did you get out of it? I just installed the 5060423 and boy is it close as far as the clearance is concerned.

Thank you,
Chris
+2
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015 AT 7:29 PM
RYAN WADE
Hi. I do not know how old this thread is but I want to thank everyone here for the idea of putting on a shorter belt to bypass the AC compressor pulley. My AC compressor had been noisy since the day I got it in January, and it finally locked up on me in the middle of June. It snapped the practically new belt that was in the system and it was going to cost me $700.00 to get a new compressor put on at the mechanics shop I went to. I lost my job due to not being able to get to work so I could not afford to get it done there (did not even make $700.00 on my last check). I tried for three more weeks to get someone out to my house to fix it at a price I could afford until a mechanic suggested I use a bypass pulley. I could not find any information about a bypass pulley for the Saturn Vue on the internet but in looking for it, I came across this thread. Another mechanic I was talking had came up with the same idea and called me about it as I was reading this thread.

Needless to say I was back on the road an hour after he got there (We had to make two trips to Autozone because we got too short of a belt the first time). We did end up using a 42 inch belt, as it was mentioned here earlier. I believe I still have the packaging and will give the part number, if I can find it or the receipt later(It is 4:00 am here and I do not want to wake up anyone else looking for them right now). I will say though, that I got a standard Duralast 42 inch, 6 ribbed belt. And after taxes it was only like $16.45 (your taxes may be different).

I also want to note that with the 42 inch belt, we were able to route the belt under the tensioner, which insures the alternator pulley spins properly.
+1
Monday, July 11th, 2016 AT 2:10 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Monday, November 27th, 2017 AT 2:35 PM