VEHICAL SHUTTING DOWN

• Matt B.
  • 2004 Saturn L300
  • automatic

I have a 2004 Saturn L300 it's a V6 and I'm finding that most every time I stop at a stoplight the car shuts down. I even find it shutting down while the car is in motion. It takes my car anywhere between 5 - 30 minutes to restart again. Any solutions?

Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 1:40 AM

• saturntech9

When it dies and won't start is it a crank no start?Also do you have any code's?Have you checked for code's?

Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 2:22 AM
  • Matt B.

After my car dies I try to restart the car and it cranks but won't fire up. I did have a diagnostics done and they gave me the print outs. P0137: Heated Oxygen Sensor, P2501, P0300: Engine Control Module, P0335: Crankshaft Position Sensor. I spoke with my dad and grandpa and they said it also could be the Throttle Position Sensor.

Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 8:30 PM
  • saturntech9

As far as the dying and not starting for a few min's I would be looking at the code P0335 crankshaft position sensor a bad crankshaft position sensor is the most likely cause of that. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Fixing the code po335 could fix the code P0300 and maybe another code.I would start with that code.I don't see a code you listed that has something to do with the tps sensor. When the tps circuit fails on that engine it doesn't usually cause the engine to die and not start. What it usually put's the car in reduced performance mode causing the car to drive really slow. Also other code's are set when there is a problem in the tps circuit.

Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 8:42 PM
  • Matt B.

I don't have a multimeter to do some testing on it. I want to replair it myself because it would be a cheaper way to go. But, I'm not sure where the Crankshaft Position Sensor is located. I know it's by the engine. And I don't have a Owner's Manual for my car. It didn't come with one. Also, they said that I will need a tune up. New Spark Plugs.

Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 10:00 PM
  • saturntech9

At a 100,000 mile's you will need new plug's among other thing's. You will need a multimeter to test the crank sensor when it doesn't start. The crank sensor is located right next to the oil filter housing it's held in by a small reverse torx head bolt.

Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 10:18 PM