Won't stay running

JEREMY12345
  • 2004 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
Car starts and runs for about 5 seconds then fuel pump cuts out. No security light that I can see.
Saturday, September 27th, 2014 AT 2:45 PM

It sounds like the fuel pump went out can you hear is running in the tank when the key is on now cranking the engine over it should run for 5 seconds if not I would do the pump and relay here is a guide to help us with diagrams below to show you how.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
+1
Saturday, September 27th, 2014 AT 3:51 PM
JIMBERG98
Thank you for this post I had the same problem and I had to get a fuel pump cost me $121.00 All fixed! I love this site.
Wednesday, January 16th, 2019 AT 6:18 PM
DONNA AITKEN
  • 2004 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
Engine problem
2004 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 86000k miles

I had a loud knocking noise in my engine 3 days ago and was told to get an oil change as I was very overdue and that should help. I did so the next day and had a delivery to do about 12 miles and on the way back my oil light went on and immediately the engine light came on. Within a few seconds the power cut out and I was left trying to stop without crashing. It was towed to my mechanic at the end of the day Friday and he had a quick look at it but called to say that he thinks the engine will have to be replaced. Theywere able to start it but once started and warmed, it would shut off. I have known this fellow for years and do trust him but I will not be able to get more details until after Christmas as he is closed. This is the second Sunfire I have had (previous 1996) and had the same problem. Driving along engine died and had to be replaced. Is there a known problem with these engines? Because an oil change in this case was quite overdue, although never out of oil always filled, could this cause an engine total failure? It doesn't seem right.
Any advicew ould be appreciated!
Thanks, Donna
Wednesday, January 16th, 2019 AT 6:18 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
IF you typically extended your oil change intervals, that may be the root of the problem. Oil will sludge up and filters and drainage ports can become clogged restricting flow. Thus the oil light 3000 miles is the best change point.

The only way to know for sure what happened is to tear down the engine, but it may just be acedemic, sounds like the mechanic is right.
SHELLLINN1
  • 2004 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
2004 pontiac sunfire stalls but does nt die when I accelerate but not all the time just started doin it got a new fuel pump and filter
Anytime you suspect a fuel issue, use a gage and check fuel pressure. How long since a tune-up? Any applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. With intermittent issues, you may have to test when problem is ongoing.
Wednesday, January 16th, 2019 AT 6:19 PM (Merged)
SHELLLINN1
I had it checked at the store nothin already replaced the fuel pump and filter bout 3 months ago it needed it. But this is new
SHELLLINN1
Thanx for your time
You didn't answer about the tune-up? At the moment, too many possibilities. I need something to point us in the right direction, fuel--spark-- sensor signals? I looked at your TSBs didn't see anything that caught my attention.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2004 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
Starts stalling out past 50mph
DOCFIXIT
Maybe fuel delivery or pressure problem
ASHLEYTHURBIDE
  • 2003 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
Allternator cable off batterie should car shut off? Cause car isnt shuting off.
Batterie light and airbag light coming on and car starts tbut then shut down, (but not the allternator) can drive until airbag light comes on once that comes on my car starts shutting down with lights, wipers, blinkers ect then breaks and gas pedal locks up
Hav eit scanned for codes first a pro will have to do it due to the airbag problem.